3rd Generation Nest Learning Thermostat Introduces HighResolution Screen, Slimmer Profile
Nest Energy and Enterprise Partnerships Bring Proven Savings,
Nest Product Offers to Customers Nationwide
Palo Alto, Calif. Sept. 1, 2015 Nest Labs, Inc., architect of the thoughtful home, today announced the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat, which has a slimmer profile, a highresolution screen that’s 40 percent larger, and an updated user interface to make it easier to read temperatures, alerts and messages. New software features for the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat include Farsight, which automatically displays the target temperature or time when it senses movement in the room, and Furnace HeadsUp, which uses diagnostics to give advance notice about possible problems with a customer’s heating system.
“The Nest Learning Thermostat has been proven by thirdparty researchers to save people, on average, about 10 to 12 percent on their heating bills and about 15 percent on their cooling bills,” said Maxime Veron, head of hardware product marketing, Nest. “Millions of Nest homes around the world have saved approximately four billion kilowatt hours of energy compared to what they would have used if they’d left their thermostats at a consistent temperature. And the results are getting noticed the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat will not only be available at 7,000 retail locations and from 25,000 Nest Pro installers, but through energy and enterprise partners such as Southern Company, Direct Energy, SunEdison, Infinite Energy, Reliant, and ADT companies committed to helping their customers stay comfortable and save energy by offering the Nest Thermostat at a discount or at no cost.”
New features for the 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat
- Sleek new design – The Nest Thermostat has a 40 percent larger, brighter, highresolution screen and new graphics so you can see it easier from far away. The crisp display has 229 pixels per inch
(PPI), 25 percent more than the 2nd generation Nest Thermostat. The 3rd generation Nest Thermostat also has a slightly thinner profile to be more flush against the wall.
- Farsight – Previously, you had to be pretty close about 3 feet (1 meter) away to get the Nest Thermostat to wake up and turn on the display. Farsight takes advantage of the new highresolution screen so that you can see useful information on the Nest Thermostat from across the room. You can set the thermostat to display target temperature, an analog clock or digital clock, or turn Farsight off.
- Furnace HeadsUp – Most heating and forced air furnaces have an automatic shutoff to avoid overheating. The Nest Thermostat will look for shutoff patterns that indicate there’s a persistent problem and if so, you’ll get a HeadsUp message in the Nest app and on the thermostat screen twice per year, and you’ll also get a notice in your monthly Home Report. (Furnace HeadsUp will be available for 1st and 2nd generation customers later this year.)
And, like the 1st and 2nd generation, the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat will also include the following integrations with Nest Protect and Nest Cam.
- When Nest Protect sounds a HeadsUp or Emergency Alarm for smoke or carbon monoxide (CO), in addition to a Nest app notification you’ll see a message on the Nest Thermostat display to help you know what’s going on. The Nest Thermostat can automatically shut off fossil fuelbased heating systems, which is the leading cause of CO leaks in the home, in case that is the source.
- Nest Protect enhances the Nest Thermostat’s AutoAway feature by improving Nest’s knowledge of when you’re home or away.
- You can set your Nest Cam to begin automatically recording when you switch your Nest Thermostat into Home or Away mode.
Nest Energy and Enterprise partners
More than 40 energy and enterprise partners are now working with Nest to bring instant rebates and offers for Nest products, as well as deliver energy saving services like Rush Hour Rewards and Seasonal Savings. Nest partners offering the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat include:
- Southern Company – A major energy provider powering homes across the Southeast, Southern Company is bringing offers to customers for Nest’s full product line the 3rd generation Nest
Learning Thermostat, Nest Protect and Nest Cam. Residents in Georgia can already get the Nest Thermostat at no cost when they sign up for the Smart Usage Rate through Southern Company subsidiary Georgia Power; additional offers will be announced later this year. For more information, visit www.southerncompany.com/nest.
- Direct Energy – One of the largest providers of electricity, natural gas, and home services in North America, Direct Energy is providing the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat to residential and small business customers at no cost when they sign up for the Comfort & Control Plan and Back to Business Plan respectively. In some markets, Direct Energy is also offering Nest’s Rush Hour
Rewards and Seasonal Savings. For more information, visit https://directenergy.com/nest.
- SunEdison – The world’s largest renewable energy development company, SunEdison is offering the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat to residents in California, New York, and Massachusetts. Eligible customers who sign up for a new SunEdison Solar System will receive a Nest Thermostat at no cost, with free installation. Learn more at sunedison.com/nest.
- Infinite Energy – An innovative supplier of retail and wholesale energy, Infinite Energy will provide the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat at no cost to Georgia residents who sign up for Infinite Energy’s
24month fixed rate plan. For more information, visit http://www.infiniteenergy.com/nest/.
- Reliant, an NRG company – Provides electricity, smart energy solutions and energy services to business and residential customers across Texas. Reliant offers the 3rd generation Nest Thermostat at no cost to Texas residents who sign up for the Reliant Learn & Conserve or an eligible Free Weekends electricity plan. Reliant is part of NRG Energy, a Fortune 200 company delivering cleaner and smarter energy choices to customers across the U.S. For more information, visit https://nest.com/energypartners/reliant/.
- ADT – Customers of ADT, a leading provider of security and automation solutions for homes and businesses, who sign up for select ADT Pulse service plans in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver and Miami may be eligible to receive a 3rd generation Nest Thermostat. Building on the success of the partnership in these four launch markets, ADT plans to make Nest Thermostats available to their customers nationwide later this year. For more information adt.com.
“Nest started out in 2011 with a single product offering the Nest Learning Thermostat and then added the
Nest energy partnership program in 2013,” said Ben Bixby, head of energy and enterprise partnerships, Nest. “Today, we can count the largest regulated utilities, deregulated energy providers, and solar energy companies among our partners. We’ve also added enterprise partners like ADT. We’re looking forward to working closely with all of our partners to make the new 3rd generation Nest Thermostat and other products accessible to customers everywhere.”
“Southern Company is the first energy company in America to deliver the full suite of Nest products an important step in delivering industryleading value to customers,” said Thomas A. Fanning, president and CEO, Southern Company. “By offering customers innovative tools to create a truly connected home, Southern Company and Nest will help families better manage their energy use and improve their quality of life.”
The 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat is available today at Nest.com, Amazon.com and
BestBuy.com, and coming soon to Best Buy Stores, Google Store, Lowe’s, The Home Depot, Sam’s Club,
Target and Verizon Wireless for a suggested retail price of $249. Starting today, the 2nd generation Nest Thermostat will be available at select retailers for a suggested retail price of $199 while supplies last.
Nest’s mission is to create a home that’s thoughtful one that takes care of itself and the people inside it.
The company focuses on simple, beautiful and delightful hardware, software and services. The Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Energy Services keep you comfortable and address home energy consumption. The Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm helps keep you safe and Nest Safety Rewards lets you save money through participating home insurance providers, while Nest Cam keeps an eye on what matters most in your home. Nest products are sold in the U.S., U.K., Canada, France, Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands and are installed in more than 190 countries. The Nest Learning Thermostat has helped save approximately four billion kWh of energy to date. Through the Works with Nest program, thirdparty products can securely connect with Nest devices to make homes safer, more energy efficient, and more aware. For more information, visit www.nest.com.