Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 AM
onlymee

Default Not browsing with D-Link 300T

Platform = Mac
OS = 9.2.2
Modem = D-Link 300T Ethernet
Service Provider = Tiscali.it

Hi,

I have been two weeks since I got activated my DSL account but I have been able to browse only twice, one day.

I access to the router and I am able to check my configurations which have been double checked tens of times the Tiscali Support.

When they try to ping to my computer they won't have access. All the tests (dos - with windows xp) have shown that the packets won't reach my port.

I am suspecting of some sort of Firewall that it stopping them on the modem but I don't know how to change this setting.

Is there any of you who had the same problem and sort it out, or are able to suggest a solution ?

thanks in advance
Old 12-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

First thing I would do is to repair the network connection in the network connection manager. That will fix it if it is a problem with your computer to modem connection. The next thing I would try is to reset your modem (if it is a problem with your modem). To do that, log into your modem, go to Tools > System Commands > Restore. That will set it to factory settings.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 AM
onlymee

Thanks vee_ess,

I have checked many times the settings on TCP/IP. They are ok, so much so that right now I am able to browse with DSL. I reset the modem too a few days ago, but didn't help.

My impression is that if I'm surfing now is because I bypassed the security settings set by the router. To get this browse now, I spent a lot of time, just clicking the 'go' button, without changing the configuration settings.

I wish I knew how to control the firewall settings myself, but there's nothing in the configuration that allows to put my hands on.

What I need is the guy (or girl) who projected this modem!

Hope to get some other feedback
Old 12-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Many DSL connections aren't "always on," but still have to dial up, in a sense (as compared to cable modems). It sounds like that /could/ be the case for you, because you said you were able to get it to work by just trying to connect repeatedly...

Assuming that's true, it sounds like you'd have something set to "dial on demand," which would try to initiate the connection once you tried to access the internet, which is consistent with my understanding of your description. Once it connects, I would imagine you would stay connected for at least two hours, assuming you didn't idle (many things could be set to disconnect if idle for X minutes).

Also, can you try this without the router, just to remove one variability, and see if you can get it to work directly connected to your computer?

As a side note: Pssst, Mac OS 9 is old. Upgrade to OSX .
Old 12-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

yea.. os9 is teh sux.. and dial up DSL (like I have) is called pppoe.. it's teh devil! but getting a router to keep it up for you helps A LOT!
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 12-29-2004, 11:37 AM
onlymee

I don't think I have solved the problem but now it seems to be getting more stable. Thanks to all, and Omega, I know what you mean, but until I get more funds I have to keep the good ol' OS 9!
And there are just a bunch of us still hunging around only with 9, I can't believe it: discriminated in a discriminated category.