Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Security, Privacy, & Spyware

Old 11-10-2001, 01:13 PM
DaemonX

Default SmoothWall :: Linux Firewall + VPN + Native IPSec

hello all,

after many time without enter this section by personal issues i have decided to post a message about the security that linux can offer for a home/work environment.

I'm using a firewall, it's called SmoothWall (www.smoothwall.org) and has a lot of good utilities.

Between them you can find VPN support, native implementation of IPSec, dialup support, usb adsl support, roaring-penguin dsl support on kernel, microkernel design, pre-installed modules (ftp, irc, icq, quake, etc... see more on main web site), web proxy, dial-on-demmand support, dns cache, dhcp support, detailed logs, web interface, console via serial port support, ssh support (also have an ssh client on the web interface so it's no needed to have monitor, keyboard and mouse...), integrated IDS (intrusion detection system), firewall configuration via ipchains chains and update system warn to help you know that you have new pathes available.

ok.. if you need a powerfull firewall, you have a machine to use only (because this firewall do not share the hard disk..) and you want all this features, you can download the ISO image from its site, http://www.smoothwall.org

THE MOST IMPORTANT....ALL THESE FEATURES IN ONLY 49 MB OF HARD DISK AND A INTER PROCESSOR 386 IS ENOUGH.

TRY IT......

bye and good luck.!!!!
Old 12-05-2001, 08:14 PM
the smoking man

Default Re: SmoothWall :: Linux Firewall + VPN + Native IP

it desperately needs tripwire to compliment snort before it will become a welcome replacement for a full-on linux implementation firewall
Old 12-24-2001, 06:15 AM
Hulaboy

Has anybody tried this firewall out yet?  I'd like to know how it is.  If not, I'll have to try that out sometime even just to see how it works.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:16 AM
thetechfreak

ive not tried it personally but it is a good firewall (im part of my local linux LUG and there has been discussion about it)
Old 10-31-2002, 08:23 PM
chamisra

Default smoothwall discussion

ji, could you please direct me towards any smoothwall discussions or Linux UG that may help me with understanding a little more about s/wall's capabilities as a firewall

thanx and regards

chamisra
Old 11-01-2002, 05:48 AM
TheRogue

i haven't as i'd rather setup my own firewall rather than use something which does the majority of it for you, but im more interested in learning rather than doing

ive seen and heard about it alot and it seems pretty good for both businesses and home users who need a good solution in a box
Old 11-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Mentalist

Default Very Good

It's a fantastic product. It runs on my 166 like a dream and works fine with my dsl. I'd like to able to configure ipchains from the the web front end, but apart from that it's great.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:47 AM
cryoe

Default I cant Login using Smoothwall

Hey hows it going

I have install smoothwall and then it ask me to login but whats the login name and the passwords i have created dont work ??????????
Old 01-30-2003, 12:01 PM
TheRogue

probably root and no password... didn't the installation ask you for a username and password?