PDA

View Full Version : Hacking going up?  nah....

MIK3
07-09-2002, 02:01 AM
This article might explain why your city might have some power supply problems....take a look (http://www.techtv.com/news/internet/story/0,24195,3390936,00.html) and see if u know what i mean.

Bear
07-09-2002, 09:34 AM
hmm,
they should use their own power lines to transmit
their data, some of the swedish companies do.

have a look at this:Ilevo (www.ilevo.com)

Grinnin Reaper
07-09-2002, 10:34 AM
Interesting bear. SPAMThing is even though some of the administration is on the network I seriously doubt the main turbines and generators are so easily accessed over the net. SPAMC'mon who would leave a logon for 4 megwatt generator on a network. SPAMBeside's it would be a unique OS on top of that. SPAMCan you imagine a BSOD at a nuclear plant SPAM:o . SPAM

TheRogue
07-28-2002, 03:50 AM
it said in the article that alot of power plants use the internet for remote control, and i don't think they mean the lighting ;)

the powerline broadband looks interesting, wonder when that will be available in the UK

vee_ess
07-29-2002, 02:43 AM
Same thing as what happened to phone companies. I'm not sure how accurate it is, however, because TechTV does BS sometimes.

Besides, I don't expect that hacking could really get power to be out in an area for months...Power companies are allowed to use backup programs like the rest of us!

TheRogue
07-29-2002, 04:05 AM
and also they can just disconnect from the net so that the hackers don't come back ;)

Uranium-235
07-29-2002, 04:07 AM
Yes, the best hacker defense, is two inches, the space between the Jack, and the cord ;)

Bear
07-29-2002, 10:41 AM
it said in the article that alot of power plants use the internet for remote control, and i don't think they mean the lighting ;)

What I ment was that the power companies could use their own
net over the powerline( as some do ) to regulate their processes and communicate betwix
offices within their company without having to be connected over
the www so no hacking would be possible.

the powerline broadband looks interesting, wonder when that will be available in the UK

Ilevo tells people in sweden to try to persuade their local politicans
to use their system instead of telias DSL. It is available in some
places but not their I live unfortunatly.
So write to your local politicans and give them the URL and let them
know that it excists, for any area that havn't built a broadband net yet
it would be an excelent alternative.