Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:20 AM
Techie

Default Simple pinging problem.

I am trying to re-establish a peer-to-peer network between 2 PC's after having changed the motherboard in one of them (let's call them A and B). Both PC's use a standard 10/100 Ethernet connector and were previously talking to each other happily. The correct LAN drivers have been loaded for the new mobo in computer A. Nothing has changed at all in computer B.

Both PC's say that the LAN connection is working at 100Mbits/sec. PC A has the IP address 169.254.0.1 and PC B has the address 169.254.189.151. Both machines have the Subnet mask 255.255.0.0.

Machine B can ping machine A - and it even finds both PC's in the workgroup that existed before machine A was upgraded. However, machine A cannot see machine B in any way (A can't even ping B).

I'm fairly confident that I can re-establish the network once I get the machines to see each other - but I don't know where to start if machine A can't even ping machine B...!

Any ideas please, anyone?
Old 05-18-2005, 04:48 AM
Techie

Oops, sorry - found the problem.

Re-installed firewall wasn't configured properly...