Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Techie

Send a message via MSN to smartkid
Default New router network problems

Ok at my house i have 3 desktops in the same room, and 1 laptop. I just got a netgear wireless router,i set it up and hooked everything up, i used the workgroup name Mshome, the wireless networks encripted, with a WIP password i think.

anyway on the laptop and one of the destops i see three computers. but one computer wont show up, all it sees is itsself, which doesent make sense becuse its the best pc of them all. I thinkl iv messed up some setting, becuse not ven the router sees it.

anyone know what iv done?

thanx,
smartkid
Old 01-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Can it access the Internet (are you sure it's connected)? If you are sure that it is connected, then go to Network Connections, then right-click your Local Area Connection and click Properties. Make sure "Client for Microsoft Networks" is checked (you probably want to do the same for "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"). Also go the Authentication tab and make sure the top two checkboxes are checked.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Techie

well its the computer that connects to the internet... yeah my networks different, since i have dail up I set the main pc (the one im having problems with) to share the connection. but when i get home tonight ill check i think theres only oone box checked on authentication
Old 01-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee_ess
Can it access the Internet (are you sure it's connected)? If you are sure that it is connected, then go to Network Connections, then right-click your Local Area Connection and click Properties. Make sure "Client for Microsoft Networks" is checked (you probably want to do the same for "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"). Also go the Authentication tab and make sure the top two checkboxes are checked.
Thats all set up right, everythings working exept the to computers
Old 01-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

So you're not actually using the router as a router (just a switch/AP), and then you're using the "invisible" computer to share your dial-up connection (using Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing (ICS))?

If so, did you make sure to disable the DHCP service on the Netgear router? Have you tried disabling the [windows, etc] firewall on the "invisible" computer?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Techie

as far as i know everythings disabled as far as firewalls go, but the invisible computer the really old one i actuially plugged in the moniter. And theres aton more than network problems wrong with it..

so i just basicly after 3 hours of trying to fix it decided to give up, so i just ripped the hard drive out and set it to slave and put it in anuther pc. But thanx for the help