PDA

View Full Version : wireless security

angivodka
05-18-2006, 03:00 AM
how do you secure a home wireless network. i have tried following the microsoft help instructions but the option is not there. any ideas anyone?

StinkyMojo
05-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Read your wireless router/access point's manual to find out how to access the config options. Once you are in, you can make your network secured by using either WEP or WPA encryption. Most new routers come with a disc you just pop in and you can change settings easily.

Jason425
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
MAC Address authentication is very effective in combination with WPA.

StinkyMojo
05-18-2006, 11:22 AM
MAC Address authentication is very effective in combination with WPA.

Indeed, something more people in my neighborhood should look into

*snickers*

Slashmire
05-18-2006, 02:13 PM
I think one of the misconception of many people is the "Why" of having security, thinking that their is nothing worth breaking or stealing...but people should be aware that some people will have fun just driving around, trying to connect to wireless connections, take some photos, find some infos, etc.

Triumph
05-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Actually most methods currently available for wireless security will only keep out amateurs. That is enough th implement measures. There have been extensive guides on the net for cracking wep and wpa encryption for a while now.

As for mac addresses, mac addresses are transmitted in the clear, so it is a trivial matter for a real hacker to pull that information and spoof it. Just realize these measures will not protect you from a real hacker, but they will protect you from the kid down the street who is just looking for trouble.

Tyler
05-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Actually most methods currently available for wireless security will only keep out amateurs. That is enough th implement measures. There have been extensive guides on the net for cracking wep and wpa encryption for a while now.

As for mac addresses, mac addresses are transmitted in the clear, so it is a trivial matter for a real hacker to pull that information and spoof it. Just realize these measures will not protect you from a real hacker, but they will protect you from the kid down the street who is just looking for trouble.

But can't that be said for almost anything? :)

Jason425
05-22-2006, 03:57 PM
The best protection matter? Don't piss people off!

angivodka
05-30-2006, 02:30 PM
thanks for all your tips and help. i will definately try and get it sorted out. and try not to piss people off!!! lol

ninikins
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Is there a way to tell if someone is using your wireless internet? I don't have wireless yet but was considering it...

Tyler
05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Is there a way to tell if someone is using your wireless internet? I don't have wireless yet but was considering it...

Good question, I would like to know this too. Currently I just use Bandwidth Monitor Pro, I find this program great to see if there is bandwidth being used for unknown reasons.

Jason425
05-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Most wireless routers have a display in the web admin interface that shows who is connected (often along with IP and mac address).

ninikins
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
meh, ok that's easier than expected then. So you don't need anything special to find out who is using your wireless internet...it just tells you? and if it doesn't...what could you use?

felice206
06-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I didn't know that, thanks for explaining it Jason, I have wireless and try to stay on top of keeping it as secure as I can.

Triumph
06-16-2006, 05:48 PM
meh, ok that's easier than expected then. So you don't need anything special to find out who is using your wireless internet...it just tells you? and if it doesn't...what could you use?

No.. just be aware that some thieves may actually steal/copy mac addresses and ips. Some routers allow you to limit ip and mac address access, so they will often catch these in the clear and then use them on their system.

Slashmire
06-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Yes...some people are just bent on destruction :/

Although, if you see someone using your internet connection, don't panic, it may just be one of those person that is using it for non-destructive purposes.