Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > General Board

View Poll Results: Is overclocking dead?
Yes overclocking is dead, I can bury the 10 foot radiator I was using now. 0 0%
No I will overclock till I need a radiation suit to use my PC. 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2006, 08:52 AM
TWL Owner

Default Is Overclocking dead?

Today's CPu's and GPU's are so powerful that one might argue that overclocking is no longer needed. Increasingly the applications that are released are taking advantage of specific features of GPU's and CPu's such that they will not run as well on older components even if overclocked. Overclocking current GPU's and CPU's returns less performance than it has in the past due to not only the technology but also the fact that these older GPU's and CPU's may not have built in support for the important features. Does this mean that there is no sense in overclocking cpu's and GPU's?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

One of the computers I use daily has 7 year old parts (with the exception of PS, video card, sound card, and HD) and it runs everything well, except the more recent games. Besides, especially if gaming is your goal, is there really ever fast enough? That's my $.02.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Techie

Unless hardware manufacturers completely lock down the ability to overclock, I don't think it will ever "die". I think its grown more into just seeing what can be done, rather than getting more for your buck like it used to be, because honestly CPU's have been more power than you can use for a few years now. To me its almost opening up for programmers to write sloppy code since there is so much headroom in the processing power. JMO
Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to shawnp

Getting more for your money and pushing the envelope will always be apart of the hardware community. Add in the "mine is better" aspect, you get an endless desire for more speed.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

Overclocking is just another way to increase the length of your E-Penis... and that's a good enough reason as any.
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason425
Overclocking is just another way to increase the length of your E-Penis... and that's a good enough reason as any.
lol, in many ways, that is so much the truth.