Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 04-14-2002, 01:06 AM
Smoked1

Default One big ass fan!

Hey guys! I got one hell of a big fan from work the other day. Only problem is that it takes 24Volts and .55AMPS. How do I get this thing powered? Do I need a converter or something? I am going to be building a new system soon and I would like to put this thing on with a variable speed switch.

Old 04-14-2002, 01:44 AM
PowerWCRulez

Default Re: One big ass fan!

Ooo it's looks excatly same company makes a fan on my old Espon MX-100 wide carriage commerical printer, it's runs off the 24 VDC and hear little noisy like a "vroooom". I had to change the printer settings on the DIP switches hehe!

I dunno, and you can search on google to find the convertor from 24 VDC to lower VDC..
Old 04-14-2002, 03:01 AM
Smoked1

I wonder how much CFM this thing produces. All I know is that it's big and big is better.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:17 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

wohoo, it's a NIDEC, the make also the famous Nidec GAMMA (most common: the gamma 28 ) these funny snail fans, used on the Noisecontrol Silverado HSF. gotta love nidec :-*
Old 04-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Frank

Old 04-14-2002, 09:03 PM
Smoked1

Yes but the question is how do I convert the voltage.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:10 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

ok, get a transformator that puts out 24 volts ( see, if ya got 110 volts from the wall socket, you would need a (i don'T know the correct names foir the stuff in english, if ya don't understand or know a better woird, pls tell me) ya need a soft iron core with to wires warapped around ervery side of the O-formed core. on one side (the wall socket side) ya need the wire 4.5 as much times wrapped around the thing than on the other side. if ya hook the cable from the socket side to the socket, the current will flow through the wires and produce a pulsing magnetic field in the soft iron core. this field produces current in the other wire wrapped around the other side. this is called induction. and since ya got 4.5 as much wrappings on the socket side, it will only put out mains current divided through 4.5 on the secondary side. so ya got 110/4.5 and ya get nice 24.4 volts on the secondary side. but it is AC and so unsuitable for the small DC motor that probably sits in the fan, so ya gotta get a (dunno the name, but it converts AC to DC using 4 diodes, in german it is called brueckengleichrichter) AC/DC converter and voila, ya can hook up ya fan. you could also get some voltage regulator from radio shack. i will have a look around for ya and get some way to get the fan running. i owe ya that much, this is one chance to do something for ya that helps. :-*
Old 04-15-2002, 05:14 AM
XDiGiTaLX

can you plug this ish to da wall? ;D
Old 04-15-2002, 07:14 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

if ya got the right transformer and AC/DC converter, yes
Old 04-15-2002, 06:40 PM
Frank

my fan is plugged in the wall, controlled by a rheo meant for a ceiling fan.