Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-26-2002, 02:18 AM
Smoked1

Default Stomp's BackUp My PC Review!

If you have not read the review of STOMP's BackUp My PC review, please do so at http://www.voidedwarranty.com/reviews/28/index.shtml/. Let us know what you think.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:52 AM
rivergod

Default Re: Stomp's BackUp My PC Review!

Very Nice review!  That is the second review of STOMP's BackUp that I've read lately, both very favorable.  I presently use a spare hard drive for a deep back-up using Norton's Ghost drive copy program.  This would be a nice option and not require me getting into my case.  I still like to have a spare HD, but this would be good on a weekly basis.  (For Me)
Old 05-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Smoked1

Norton ghost is another good product. This one is just better for the average user. What you could do though is have a spare drive standing by and then use backup my pc for all of your data.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:09 PM
XDiGiTaLX

bro about the reviews... maybe you should update the review secton once in a while its REALLY OUTDATED
Old 05-26-2002, 04:16 PM
XDiGiTaLX

oh and one more thing, am i geting more stuff from stomp inc?

email steve and tell him the review's done... i want more stuff
Old 05-26-2002, 08:35 PM
Harry Baboonian

Thanks for the very good review!

I have used Backup MyPC for years, and it has always been one of the best backup utilities out there (it has been around under different names for about 10 years).  It is a lot faster than NTI Backup Now! Deluxe when backing up to CDRW.  The only disadvantage I found in Backup MyPC is that the CD's must be formatted with its proprietary format before they can be used for data backup.  This takes about 7 minutes per CD on my system.  A minor issue, as it only needs to be done once.

Norton Ghost has the advantage of being able to restore to a completely blank hard drive, which, as you noted, Backup MyPC cannot do under XP.  The speed advantage of backing up to a hard drive is countered by the fact that it is more sensitive to shock and temperature than CDs or tapes.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:13 AM
Smoked1

I like backing up to my file server because it was so fast. Only problem with that is that if the server goes down so does your backup. The best way i think is to use a good tape drive. I sell them really cheap so I can get one. Only thing is that I don't sell controller cards so thats the expensive part.