Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-03-2002, 03:50 PM
d3admeat

Default Just saying hello / PSU question

Hey everyone, i'm new to this board and the case/computer modding scene.  I've looked around and this is a very good site, seems like there are a lot of very knowlegable people here when it comes to matters of computers.

Anyways, I just finished putting together my first home built system.  Here are the specs...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Abit AT7 Motherboard
512 mb PC2700 ram
PNY GeForce 4 ti4400
80gb Seagate Barracuda IV
Addtronics 6896a full tower

So far the case has a window on the side, 1 80mm sunon up front and one in back, and a 120mm blowhole.  I've put blue led's in the power and hdd led holes, and have rigged up a fan control bus up front in an empty cdrom bay.  I should have some pictures up soon.

Right now im getting ready to buy a new powersupply bec the one i had broke.  I'm torn between a 400w and a 465w, would my comp be able to run on the 400?  Obviously i want to save money if possible, but any suggestions would be great.  

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Re: Just saying hello / PSU question

Unless you've got some odd stuff you ain't mentioned, (didn't see what kinda burner or DVD gear you've got).  I don't see why a 400w couldn't push that just fine.  Don't get me wrong bigger is better but who can allways go way out.  a 1000w would be real sweet but who can go for that (within reason).  Here's a helpful link from AMD take a gander http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/26003.pdf   Hit it about page 11 to 15.  There is some cool stuff to read and help you spec this out.  Actually anyone building a new rig should at least take a look.  It's some good sh!t I think Sounds like a real sweet rig.  Don't have to much fun with it.  
Old 06-03-2002, 09:46 PM
Smoked1

I think the 400w will be fine for you.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:22 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

me gonna go for a 550 to 600 watts for me new p4, but i am mawd, on satureday i ordered a 5" TFT module i gonna put in me bays (cost 240 euros, man, hard to get that stuff around here, ain't cheap ;D) i think 400 will be enuff for ya if ya don't do some serious overclocking and voltage modding ahh, got the same hdd as me good stuff , silent, fast and big. me's gonna review tha shidd soon ;D
Old 06-04-2002, 07:49 PM
Smoked1

Yeah I would love to get another review from ya.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:19 PM
rivergod

I recently got and have been using a 470W triple fan PSU.  I did a review on it here: http://www.rivergodsmods.com/Reviews.html  The thing I like most, is the ability to run one, two, or all three fans, as needed.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:35 PM
Smoked1

Yeah, I need a new PSU. Mine sucks.