Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-03-2002, 08:38 PM
ModNoob

Default NEW MOD JOB!

I just thought of another "mod" but its more of a hack. I wanna hack my external parallel port zip drive and turn it into an internal zip. CAN IT BE DONE?
Old 06-03-2002, 09:27 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Re: NEW MOD JOB!

The intersting part will be the interface.  The quick and easy way would be to take the parellel cable and run it out the back and back into the port.  Kinda ugly but would be easy.  Can tear it apart and see if it looks like ther is an IDE style conector inside and a parellel adapter to bypass and just hook into you're IDE cable's but I seriously doubt that it would be that easy.  If you do enough research you may find a pinout of the drive and solder in a IDE cable but that kinda stuff is hard to come by and even harder to do.  As far as physically making the drive fit that's easy.  Just remember the dremel is the modder's best friend.  I actually have two.  One's multi-speed 110v and one's two speed battery operated.  Use 'em all the time and love 'em.  
Old 06-03-2002, 09:42 PM
Smoked1

Sounds like a nice mod. Only thing is to make the mod stand out. Let people know when they look at it that it's not quite the way it should be.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:11 PM
ModNoob

Cool. I'll look into it. LoL guess what. I am so hooked that I convinced my computer programming teacher to add comp modding to his computer club. How sweet is that! My friends call me a geek but I am proud to be what I am! As far as modding the LED lights and cathode lights go. I saw some sweet LED lights at crazypc.com and I heard that cathodes can blind ya and get hot (things I've read, I personally dont know jack diddly). Lastly, what exactly is a dremel? does it cut a hole, or does it cut shapes? How much are they? Where can i get one? Man I love this forum!
Old 06-03-2002, 10:16 PM
ModNoob

Heres the link to the Lazer LEDs

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/mer...ct_Code=PC8460
Old 06-04-2002, 02:15 AM
Smoked1

i have not modded any LEDs yet. i have been so busy managing the site and painting cases
Old 06-04-2002, 03:02 AM

Posted by: ModNoob Posted on: June 3rd, 2002, 8:11pm
Quote:
Lastly, what exactly is a dremel? does it cut a hole, or does it cut shapes? How much are they? Where can i get one?
Well as far as i know a Dremel is a brand of rotary electric drill.  it can cut holes and shape depending on the drill bit you are using.  They are usually priced between $30-$300 for a new one, but you dont need a new one to get the job done! and finally you can find one at any of your local hardware stores or electroic stores!
Old 06-04-2002, 05:39 AM
Grinnin Reaper

Here's a link to a newer version of one of mine http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00961087000  nice url huh??  If you look around you can also find some that run off of small power packs so you don't have to fight the cord.  Hella lot's of help.  They can cut, grind, polish, sand, and make an expresso (okay, I'm not sure about the last one but I know it'll do the rest).  Good investment if you really like.  And we're all geeks to a point.  In fact that's a good news site if you get a chance www.geek.com.  Happy moddin
Old 06-04-2002, 06:56 AM
rivergod

Old 06-04-2002, 07:03 AM
rivergod

[quote author=Savage link=board=voided&num=1023154713&start=0#1 date=06/03/02 at 21:27:54]
The intersting part will be the interface.  The quick and easy way would be to take the parellel cable and run it out the back and back into the port.  Kinda ugly but would be easy.    
[/quote]That would be my way too.  I am Electronically Challenged.  I burn myself regularly soldering, and I cannot use any but the simplest settings on a multimeter.  I'd have to pass the wires through to the back.