Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > General Board

Old 06-06-2002, 12:42 PM
ModNoob

Default Another mod idea from the n00b

My newest idea is based on science fiction. It may already exist, but I dont know about anything like this around. There is voice recognition for EVERYTHING. Install some software and you can talk to your computer and make it do ANYTHING. Not exactly. I have yet to see a computer program that can recognize ur voice "Computer: power on" since the program needs the computer to execute. My idea is to make a piece of harware that when plugged in, is always on. Its only job will to listen for "system start" or something. When it hears that, it will send a signal like you have pressed the power button. (it would also listen for "System restart" if your machine freezes). CAN THIS BE DONE? and what do you think of the mod?
Old 06-06-2002, 02:16 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Re: Another mod idea from the n00b

It sounds sweet enough.  And shouldn't be to hard.  All the mobo does is sense when the power switch closes.  All you need to do is get a voice chip to send a high (or closed) signal to the motherboard over the two wires from the power switch.  The only downfall would be yelling "f*ckin' retard" in the middle of a quake game and the computer hearing system restart and your computer reboots.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:39 PM

not a bad idea at that!  hey didnt we have a post on something like this where you controll the mouse cursor with your mind and stuff!  i would like that, but fully operatin a comp is way above my expectations of using a computer, man that would surley be AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Smoked1

Not a bad idea. maybe case manufacturers should develop something like that. Great Idea.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Posted by: ModNoob Posted on: June 6th, 2002, 10:42am

My newest idea is based on science fiction. It may already exist, but I dont know about anything like this around
yeah that sure would be freakin cool if it really did exist, then again i wouldnt be surpised with all those movies (Enemy of the State, MIB, Matrix)
Old 06-08-2002, 09:06 AM
rivergod

It would have to be a small computer that recognized the voice, so it would be like a computer inside the computer.  Very do-able, because it could be very small, as it has one task; turning on and off the computer.  All other voice recognition commands would be handled by the main box.  Security could be increased too, by making it recognize only your voice. ;D
Old 06-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Smoked1

I think that one small chip could handle it. It might need to be battery powered though. Or maybe it could just run off of the power supply
Old 06-08-2002, 02:43 PM
ModNoob

The hardest part of this project is the only thing thats keeping me from attempting it. Where the hell do you find a chip like that? You would have to program it somehow to listen for those words and not turn on when u say something like "now where did i leave my remote control" If I could find that chip, i'd get to work.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Smoked1

OH. You actually want to try and do it. LOL Good luck. Let me know how it goes.  :
Old 06-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

WELL...It is going to be a lot harder than you think it is going to be. You are not going to be able to use any chip that is out for commercial use. Maybe if you find a gov't. agency that has a chip for that, you could try stealing it and moddin it.

But anyways, the reason it is going to be harder is because you have to account for variances in sound and distinguish between various characteristics. You would have to create and design a circuit board that would calculate these, characteristics, such as voice inflection, pitch range, etc. It takes millions of lines of code for this and, frankly, it will take that much more on a circuit board.

To get around that, you are going to have to allow the device to access the hard drive or a dedicated drive (specifically for the device in question) and have it interpret and process the data.

This leads to a controller card. You can mod a controller card to do low level processing and have the data part taken care of. Now, you are goint to have to mod a chipset to use only what you need and process the data on the card which you have provided power to, the controller card (for example...a SCSI card). At that point in the design, you can reduce the processing to just what you need and fit it on the card. That brings me to another point...The controller card doesn't need to have any RAID functions, and you can get rid of any segments that process the BUS type stuff. This leads me to another train of thought...You can use RAM instead. You won't have to get rid of anything, except you will need constant power, which you will already have a need for to listen to the incoming sounds and processing them. So, basically, the RAM makes things a lot easier.

Now, for the calculations on voice characteristics...You will need to do reasearch...You will need to record, several (I can't express enough how many times), times, your voice saying "start" and "restart" several times. What you can do is just have it wait for "start" and send a signal to both jumpers, so that if the computer is not powered up, the power will be the one to do anything, and otherwise, it will reboot since the power one won't do anything because at that point it is software controlled. Back to the research and recording part - you are going to have to analyze and find all similar aspects. If you do that it makes this all much easier because then you can create circuits that, running simultaneously, analyze strength, pitch, and other characteristics. That doesn't need too much work, because you can get those things already, like at RadioShack. Then all you need to do is seperate the different segments and have it pass through one at a time.

Hope I didn't scare you at all...Just wanted to build a platform off which to start. If you need any help, please let me know because I would be very excited to work on this.

If this does work, patent it right away...become an instant millionaire!