Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Techware Labs News

Old 12-20-2001, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega
Default A Few Big Announcements: Reviews, my update, etc.

First things first.  There have been a slew of new reviews posted over at HardwarePub, so go check them out.  Most recently are the following reviews:
-Plextor PlexWriter 24/10/40a
-Enermax Whisper 431w PSU

Read them.  Now.
-----------------
Well, now that I know you've all read at least those two reviews, I'll let you in on what's been happening with me lately, if any of you have been observant enough to notice my absence (or recognize me at all ).

We all know that the holiday season is upon us, and that means everyone, everywhere is pushing to get things done.  For me that translates into hours and hours of seemingly endless work (not to be confused with a seemingly endless wok).  I was able to manage a teriffic three hours of sleep Sunday night (well, more like Monday morning, if you want to get technical), so needless to say, I haven't had a whole lot of extra time to be posting in the forums.
 I've missed the daily comfort of NetSmog, so once my slave drivers let up a bit on my work load (probably around next Sunday or Monday) I'll try to catch up.  Last time I had to "catch up" on multiple missed days of NetSmog activity it took me over three hours, so I can't begin to imagine how long this will take.  And the moral of the story?  Never leave NetSmog! ;D
Old 12-20-2001, 02:40 AM
Simo

Default Re: A Few Big Announcements: Reviews, my update, e

Amen....I went off netsmog for about 2 weeks awhile ago and it took me ages to get up to date.
Old 12-21-2001, 02:51 AM
Hulaboy

I can absolutely relate to that!  I was pretty active when Netsmog first started and then school started back up for me.  Needless to say, I had to prioritize and get school work done.  I was only able to read a couple of posts every now and then until winter break hit.  That was about two weeks ago and I am still trying to catch up!!!  So, don't feel so bad...hehehe.  

With an added note...I just read your review on the Plextor 24X burner.  Very nice.  I currently own a Plextor 16X burner and was wondering if it would be worth the upgrade?  I'm thinking not too much since burn times between the two drivers really aren't that much different?  Would you upgrade from a 16X to a 24X?

One other thing, I was wondering if you will ever do a review on the MSI 645 Ultra?  I haven't seen a lot of reviews on this board.  The reason I ask is because I just won this board at a tech seminar I attended.  The only worthwhile review I have seen is the one done at Tom's Hardware.  I'd like to see another perspective to it.  I have to admit though, with the board's support for DDR333 it sure does perform rather nicely.  ;D
Old 12-21-2001, 06:28 AM
Simo

I wouldnt bother with a 16x - 24x upgrade...apariently in the real world there is mear seconds diffference between them.
Old 12-21-2001, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega
Default Re: 16x -> 24x upgrade?

Personally, I probably would never even really consider upgrading from 16x to 24x.  Prior to this PlexWriter 24x, I had been using a 4x USB burner from HP.  That is a bit of an extreme case, but it illustrates my point.  With something like a CD burner, you can do the same thing with a 4x as you can with a 24x, it just takes a bit longer.  I have patience like a sloth, after having to put up with slow-ass computer equipment and dial-up connection, so something like waiting 40 minutes to burn a CD is something I could deal with.
   Unfortuantely, as I have many times discovered, others do not share my patience.  I would suggest puting money into something like a graphics card, processor, or ram, rather than a faster CD burner.  Then again, if you're rolling in money, sure, go for it.  And send me your old one while you're at it .