PDA

View Full Version : A challenge to my fellow techies.

Simo
10-10-2001, 09:40 AM
My g/f's comp gets massivly high pings in EVERY game known to man.
Where not talking 500 or 600 where talking 1000 - 2000....and that on a server that I get 150 from on my computer.
Her computer is only 3 months old so nothings dieing, only thing I can think of that might be auto-updating is norton AV, but I disable that from the task manager and ping still sucks.
This has been pissing me off to no end, ive tryed every tweak known to man + all my techy "secrets" that I've seen on the net.
Sumed up....Im stumped.
I would really appreciate ANY hints or tips anyone might have on what to do.
*sigh*
BTW please forgive the sucky spelling, I've been working all day and need sleep bad.

thanks in advance
Simo

wizbones
10-10-2001, 11:05 AM
First off how does your GF connect to the Internet? Dialup, DSL, Cable?

Does she have a multimedia keyboard? What all is running in the background? What OS is she running? Give us some details so that we can tweak some things.

Thanks.

Grinnin Reaper
10-10-2001, 04:17 PM
If you install zone alarm from www.zonealarm.com you can lock down the system's access to the internet and to the Lan I believe. SPAMThere's a free version so you're not out the bucks at least for a quick demo. SPAMAnd it may help you track down the offending program. SPAMYou may want to do a search for opt-out. SPAMIt's a spyware detection program to find programs that are trying to phone home with information. SPAMThough Zone-alarm will stop the pings. SPAMIt sounds like she may have got infected with a trogan but I can't swear to it. SPAM Just try this and I'll try to check back later it I can to help ya.

Simo
10-10-2001, 06:11 PM
Shes running winME
Connects through V90 56k dialup.
Nothing running in background, she has Packard bell iConnect Multimedia Keyboard, but Ive already tryed disabling it and it makes no dif.
Good idea about zone alarm, ill give it a try.

Simo
10-11-2001, 06:54 AM
update:
Ive been running Zonealarm and nothing other than the usual things (IE, Eudora etc) has tryed to access the internet.
This seems to make me thing that it doesnt have anything to do with programs accessing the net, but something with the connection itself.
Can anyone think of some settings I might have overlooked?
UPDATE:
Another thing Ive noticed is that d/l speeds are fine, its just pings that suck.

wizbones
10-11-2001, 12:55 PM
If all else is working fine I'd say you are alright. Ping times really aren't as important as people tend to think. They have the lowest priority over all other traffic. If there are congested routers the pings and traceroutes take the low end and have to wait.

With all the Code Red II, Nimda etc out there tying up traffic this could be part of it.

Would hurt to check n see if maybe there are updated drivers for her modem or uninstall and reinstall DUN (dial up networking, and TCP/IP) Maybe with a clean stack you'll get better results. No promises, just what I'd do.

Simo
10-11-2001, 06:20 PM
yeah Ive uninstalled and reinstalled everything and still no joy. SPAMI don think its got anything to with code red etcas my PC gets really low pings on the same servers.
I have to disagree with pings being importent though...even if mainly for gamers...playing with a 2500ping is like asking someone to whoop your ass, not to mention the fact that everythings jerky and you dont even get to see the people who kill you.
:-[