PDA

View Full Version : Linux Newbie

Creed182
06-05-2001, 10:45 PM
Alright I've never used this os but I want to give it a try. SPAMWhat's the best version to use to test it out and whats it like? SPAMThanks!

Hulaboy
06-06-2001, 12:45 AM
Well, I can tell you that it gets pretty frustrating at times. SPAMIf you don't have any previous UNIX background I can tell you that there will be a pretty high learning curve. SPAMHowever, once that's done and over with it gets pretty good. SPAMRight now, I am using Linux-Mandrake 8.0. This current distro is pretty good from what I've seen so far. During installation it detected all of my hardware. SPAMI had a problem with previous versions detecting some of my hardware which has made me kind of leary in delving into the OS. However, it's going well now.

As far as what is the best distro to test out is concerned, I would have to say that is a matter of preference. I think Mandrake has one of the most user friendly installations though. According to US Linux market figures, Mandrake has 33.8% of the market, Redhat has 30.7%, Suse has 23.8%, FreeBSD has 5.6%, Caldera has 2.5%, and so on and so on...I guess the best thing about these OSes is that they're all generally free. SPAMMandrake also has a Lnx4Win option to where you can load Linux in a Windows partition and not have to deal with the usual pain of going through partitioning a hard drive. If you don't like it then just delete the folder in the Windows directory. Info on that is at http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/lnx4win.php3

Crystal_Helix
06-06-2001, 11:20 PM
I'm kind of new to this as well, but I'd tried some different flavors of Linux.

First off, I have to say... once you use it, you never go back to Windows. I keep a Win machine around for games and... games. That's it.

Redhat: Pretty k00l, but it's got security holes a mile wide. It's super easy to use, install & upgrade though (with some quirks. You can't upgrade RPM, and that'll limit some of the packets you can install). If you choose Redhat (and I'd even recommend it, for a first time user) then spend a few days researching plugging those holes.

Slackware: Personal favorite. It's NOT as easy as Redhat, but it's very, very easy to modify and it's holes are not nearly so numerous, large or difficult to plug. Default install is pretty secure. I did have a problem with X 'n Slack, but I'm pretty sure that was my comp, not the OS.

Your own kernal: Very cool. You can compile your own linux kernal... you won't have all the little programs a distro will give you, but you'll be pretty secure. You'll also learn about how the OS is constructed, the dependancies, etc, etc. You can get instructions at www.linuxfromscratch.org I think the address is.

Helix

Henkules
06-15-2001, 02:21 AM
I advise you to use Red Hat it isn't that secure but it is a good distribution to learn from. And when you have that running and working fine and you are feeling that you know it very well then start with slackware or free Bsd.

And search for good how to's you can learn alot from it.

Keefe
06-15-2001, 01:31 PM
I second that, and Redhat is only not secure because it installs tons of options with it. SPAMIf you go on and close it up it is just as secure as any other distribution.

wolford
07-09-2001, 07:28 PM
OK, boys and girls. The old man's got a problem I hope you can help with? I was trying to load a fresh install of Redhat on a freshly partitioned HDD (first time to try a dualboot). I'm getting the advisory that my Seagate has 1027 cylinders, and blah-blah-blah. I've seen a workaround on a board or tutorial somewhere but I can't find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

wolford
07-14-2001, 03:40 PM
Well, I got RH loaded. Seems that the HDD I have has an LBA archetecture(?), so I had to tick the "Linear" setting during install so that it would mount right. LILO works perfectly well. I'm still getting the configurations in so I'm still having to use my win partition pretty often. It is nice to be able to see all the files in the HDD though, DOS or etc2.
~laTOR~

DaFr0zT
08-13-2001, 10:14 AM
I just have some few questions because im seriusly thinkin of swichtin over to Linux.. I am runing Windows ME right now, but i am so tires of all that shit with it...

But... Is it at all posible to play games i Linux? (Yeah just laugh, but i am a totally nubi with Linux, do not know anythin, thats why i am askin) But is i posible? Cuzz i am quite a gamer :)

And then i want to know how userfreindly Red Hat or Mandrake is when thinkin of that i only know Windows and DOS as OS´es... I have newe tried Linux or Unix......

-----------------------------------------------------
If there is any kind person out there.. then answer my questions please :)
-----------------------------------------------------
-=DaFr0zT Out=-

SinnopS
08-14-2001, 01:58 PM
well, as of right now, you still may need windows for some stuff. however, many games now do have linux ports so you can play them like that. there are also windows emulators so you can actualy use widows programs

if you are a noobe, then mandrake is probably the best to go for since most everthing is set up automaticaly. and x-windows is very cool.

but as a gamer...linux still has its limits. try using windows 2000. its far superior to ME

Niels
08-15-2001, 12:04 PM
If you wanna play games AND use Linux, why dont you set up both?
I am a newbie to with Linux, so it is a safe way to play around with Linux, to get to know it, and also being able to get back to windows if you want.

Niels.

Hpub_Val
09-21-2001, 03:23 AM
how good is the win9x emu?

if i get linux runing which i did once on my first come back in the p2 266... but havent botherd since heh...

i might go right to debian what do you guys think? if not what else is good there :\

heh i just want to pick one and try it and maybe later find out what works best for me

but win9x emu would be nice ;)

just wondering, what or were would i need to get raid drivers for my abit lol never looked if they come with normal drivers or have a d/l place :\

its for my abit kt7 raid heh

techman
09-21-2001, 12:50 PM
what is win9x emu?

Hpub_Val
09-21-2001, 03:55 PM
im talking about a windows emulator meaning you could run windows in linux... i know there are a few i just havent had the time to research them... since im not even runing linux but i would like to know if someone is using or read something or knows something SPAM;)

wizbones
09-29-2001, 02:23 PM
I've found that when you're just getting started with *nix any flavor is a good one. You'll end up picking one and more than likely staying with it. Those who've started with Mandrake tend to stay with it, RedHat etc.

Doesn't matter, they are similar and then again slightly dif. Just pick one and go with it.

Haven't heard nor I can I believe anyone would want to emulate windows in a *nix env. That's almost hypacritical idn't it?

Most BSD's you can dual boot so you can both if'n you want. So pick any of the flavours out there and just dive in. Won't know anything til you stick yer head in.

JohnDoez
11-08-2001, 05:40 AM
Mandrake 8.1 you can actually load into a Windows Folder
and try it out that way, runs slower than a pure install.

Suse Linux 7.3 is / tends to be an Europoean flavour, finds all drivers etc etc

I am not into Gamez, but the ones I need I use VMware
( virtual maschine ? ) I do not think it would work for these newer High tech gamez though

Linux is a different world, so the advice for winXP or Win2k
maybe better

Yes Linux installs SPAMnow easier than windowz
but is most certainly harder to run it !!

Now my point about linux and installs is a fact !
Due to these points.
With windows you need to reboot at least 3 times to get the basic model running that without firewall/norton/trojan/hardware config/software config/tweak config.. I could go on and on
with Linux I only had one reboot....its now been LIVE for 42 days 24/7 online 24/7 running 16 programz ..Browsers IRC etc
I have two monitors per PC ( yes windows can also but not as good ) and I watch DVD´s at the same time ? my CPU has never yet reached 83% of its capacity and I do not need to over clock it

Linux will never ever compete with windows for gamez Correct
but if you are not into gamez windows will never ever compete with Linux

I wouldn´t go out and get Linux cause one type of windows isnt working correct. I would stick with windows and tune it better

Linux is and will remain harder to use than windows and mosts users would never need the abilities of Linux anyway .