PDA

View Full Version : XP pro's and cons

Digital_Vixen
11-29-2001, 07:38 PM
What does everyone think of Windows XP in general (be it home or office)? :D Any Pro's or Con's about it?

Omega
11-29-2001, 09:35 PM
I like XP Pro overall. SPAMUnfortunately, the bad driver support for my old graphics card (3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP) makes gaming infeasable. SPAMI like the majority of the new features implimented. SPAMThe stability and basic driver support is quite good in XP. SPAMWhether to upgrade from Win2k or not is debatable, but I'd definately recommend it from 98 or ME.

kfan
11-29-2001, 10:18 PM
I like XP Pro as well. SPAMIt has been very stable for me and the only real problem I had was with CD Creator and I had to upgrade it to work with XP. SPAMIt seems that networking is stronger in Pro and if you are hooked up to a LAN Pro is much better. SPAM
Hey Omega, I'm not a heavy game player but the drivers on on this site VooDoofiles.com (http://www.voodoofiles.com/) work well with my VooDoo 5.

Omega
11-29-2001, 11:18 PM
Well, at risk of getting way off topic, I'll reply to the last post anyway.

I actually have the latest driver from VoodooFiles, and despite the problems with the installer (yes, I know a new patch just came out for the installer) I got it installed. SPAMI was able to get perfromance within 2 fps of Windows 2000, but whenever I quit the the game (Quake 3) I would get freezes, as well as other lockups due to the drivers. SPAMThe (3rd party) drivers are quite buggy, but for performance they're the best ones out, IMO.