PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

Simo
10-06-2001, 06:40 AM
Hey all.
Just wonderin' how many of you guys are going to be upgrading to XP?
If you are then when will you be doing it? SPAMIm definatly upgrading sometime this year, as I like to be up to date (and it looks pretty cool) , but Im waiting till we see some solid pricing details before I jump in, but its defidently happening soonish after the 25th of October.
What you all think of M$ saying XP will run, with 64 meg RAM?
From what Ive read and seen I think its an absolute load of crap.
Almost feel sorry for the people going to try it SPAM:P

Simo
10-06-2001, 09:40 AM
Ok, for all those living in Austraila i've got some prices here.

Home Edition:
Upgrade: $209.00
Full: $409.00

Professional:
Upgrade: $409.00
Full: $582.00

For those interested you can pre order copies from Harris Technology (http://www.ht.com.au)

Keefe
10-06-2001, 12:23 PM
I am probally going to run it on a secondary computer and see if i like it good enough. SPAMI won't but it though, i will download it of the net or from MS MSDN subscription online service.

wizbones
10-06-2001, 01:32 PM
I have been more than happy with Windows 2000 Professional. It's finally something I can run with out having to reboot all the time SPAM::)

Haven't had a chance to check out XP yet, not sure that I want to. I think it's going to be the most expensive OS yet to maintain. Allot more rules as far as licensing and installing.

Well see what you guys do and how it goes.

vee_ess
10-08-2001, 12:48 AM
i would wait to see reviews and stuff of XP. since it will likely be as stable and fast as win2k it will probably be good. win2k is probably what i am going to stick with looking at the prices of XP. it is fast, well on at least on a ghz comp. it is slower than 98se on anything that is below around 400mhz. it has never crashed on me and plays most of my games, so unless the steep prices drop a little, i am probably not going to move up to it.

Simo
10-08-2001, 09:37 AM
Ive seen afew reviews of it, in beta form and also a release version review.
The beta's behaved just like beta's do. SPAMLots of bugs but the general outline was there.
The review I read of the version to be released said that all of the immediatally obvious beta bugs where gone, and it was, in the reviewers opinion the best microsoft OS so far.
Im going to give it a go and ill post a link to my review here..
One of the things Im looking forward to seeing is how it performs in a games v's office apps benchmark.
ie, win 2K arguably has worse gaming performance than 9X so it will be interesting to see which direction XP sways. ???

GodMonstr
10-09-2001, 01:08 PM
I really like XP. It found all my drivers.

Well, it did have trouble with my ATI video cards and I cannot get dual moniotrs to work.
My roommate has dual monitors working with XP (Pro Corp version)

It also comes with IE6 which does not work with Yahoo Pagebuilder software (where I make my web page)

I run a dual boot, ME and XP.

I think dual boot is the way to go, that way, if XP not work for something, I can reboot into ME.

http://www.geocities.com/godmonstr/XP.html

Above link is to some screenshots of XP.

Kevin

GodMonstr
10-09-2001, 01:10 PM
Simo: SPAMThose prices seem high...Is that Aussy currency?

Email me for better deal.

Kevin

godmonstr@cableone.net

Simo
10-09-2001, 06:12 PM
Yeah there aussie dollars.
prices are from Harris Technology.
Im considering importing it from the US in hope of a better price SPAM8)

Keefe
10-09-2001, 06:16 PM
How to aussie prices for computer hardware compare to us hardware prices?

SinnopS
10-14-2001, 05:34 PM
well, i have XP (thank you msdn :)) and i love it. i dont think i will be going back to win2k. been using it for several weeks now and it is so good. very sweet and slick

ChimChim
10-16-2001, 03:13 PM
I've upgraded to XP, and everything seems to be working out. SPAMI didn't have any problems with my video or sound, but i had to reinstall a few programs. SPAMFor instance, my G-Force 2 works fine, but i had to reinstall Adaptec(Burning Utility). SPAMI think that the user inteface is pretty cool and i haven't had any problems with crashes or things like that. SPAMI tried to crash my computer on purpose just out of curiousity, and all that happened was that i got an error in the last program that i ran, i clicked close, and XP kept running fine. SPAMBut you'll have to try it for yourself to know what i mean.

wizbones
10-16-2001, 05:50 PM
All you XP users, can anyone tell me how the networking portion is? I had someone call today asking questions and I have no experience with it yet.

Is it pretty straight forward like Win2k or do you have to use wizards? Say you want to just change you IP address? Could you give me a walk through?

Thanks

Keefe
10-16-2001, 06:11 PM
I have not used it yet, but I did find some screenshots of the DUN portion of it. SPAMHope this helps a little.

http://www.home-skooled.com/xpdusetup.htm

techman
10-20-2001, 10:25 PM
Wow...it does look like fisher price!

Can you turn off the ugly colors?

Simo
10-21-2001, 09:30 AM
yeah you can make it revert to "Windows Classic" mode.
Which is basically a Win2K skin from what I hear.

techman
10-21-2001, 09:04 PM
I am glad that you can turn that off!

awesomedell
10-27-2001, 02:16 AM
I got a mailer from Dell that says I can upgrade to XP for like $79 or $89 from ME that came on my Dimension 8100 purchased earlier this yr. SPAMI signed up for a download of the Beta Ver 2, but with my available modem connection never could get into their server before the deadline to download it. SPAMHaven't decided yet whether I'll fork out the $$ for the upgrade or not, but will have to make up my mind soon, as I believe the offer expires in 2 wks. SPAMIf anyone has any comments on the final release version pls post. SPAMI was somewhat disappointed with ME, I think 98SE worked much better, at least I didn't have any problems locating drivers or running game apps on it. SPAMBut like the earlier poster said I like to be current & up to date on what's out there. SPAM

Omega
11-12-2001, 02:14 AM
I made the switch to Windows XP Professional from Windows 2000 Professional on my main system for testing purposes. SPAMI loved nearly all aspects of XP except for a few minor things, including the lack of ability to actually customize the Luna GUI (only pick from three pre-set combinations for the main colors), and most importantly, the crappy support for my Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. SPAMI know for most that isn't really an issue, but until I can get a new card I'm stuck with this, and it still works great in Win2k.

I would definately recommend upgrading to Windows XP from Windows 98 or ME. SPAMUpgrading from Windows 2000 is debatable, IMO, though. SPAMAs for now, I've reverted back to Windows 2000 SP2, which is, and has, been working great for me.

Uranium-235
11-19-2001, 01:35 PM
I would never get an operation system unless thiers at lease one service pack for it.

I'm not sure if thie one out for XP yet.

The_Other_One
11-25-2001, 10:10 PM
I am never, never, NEVER upgrading past 2K unless I absolutly have to, or MS removes all that stupid permission crap >:( . SPAMI hear stuff like you have to send the error codes to MS if your computer lockes up, and you can't abort it... SPAMI also don't like the layout, to...pretty... SPAMI like simple task bars with simple menus, rather then eye candy. SPAMAnd finally, I've heard some stuff isn't conpatable with XP. SPAMI still use alot of DOS programs(mainly emulations) and I MUST have DOS.

Nothing but 98SE for me.

Omega
11-26-2001, 12:44 AM
NES_master: Not that I'm a huge proponent of XP, but by permission crap do you mean the product activation junk? SPAMThey don't have that in XP Professional (not sure about Home). SPAMAs for sending an error report after crashes, it gives you a choice to send or not send, and if you do choose to send, you can either give them contact information, or remain anonymous. SPAMThe GUI is customizable, as well. SPAMYou can choose to either use the Luna theme (the 'pretty' one) or the classic windows theme, with all the same customization options as with Win2k or Win98. SPAMI personally use the classic Windows theme modified with my own color choices. SPAMTo deal with the compatability issues, Microsoft has integrated a later feature of Win2k (SP2 I think): compatability layers. SPAMFrom what I understand after you specify in the properties of the EXE what OS you want to run the program in, Windows will basically emulate the environment of said OS for said EXE. SPAMI've used it once, and it worked fine. SPAMMost DOS applications work as well, from what I've heard, but I haven't personally tried any.

altF?
12-03-2001, 01:18 AM
I agree Omega, i have been running XP for a couple of months now, from Beta to Pro Official release. I also build computers for friends and i install XP on all these computers. I have had it running with AMD T-Birds to Pentium 4's. I haven't really experienced any troubles with hardware, and very few instances with software. I dual booted my personal system for a while between 2k and XP, but have since removed the 2k part. As far as the networking question in an early post, you can still change your ip in ipconfig from command line. As far as DOS programs go, best i can tell you is to find new emulators! SPAM;D I like XP alot, and have recently put it on my server at home which hosts 4 other comps. (one Mac) I am waiting to see what kind of trouble that gives me. So far tho, it has been smooth sailing SPAM::)

Bear
12-03-2001, 07:12 AM
Have never tried XP or win2k using
98lite SPAMor LiteStep on w95 machines
98 lite is really nice.
Will not upgrade unless I have to
to be able to run new games or apps. :P

aoC_PRoZaK
12-08-2001, 08:41 AM
iŽm using 98se now for ???how long, i think about two years and i really like it. if iŽll upgrade (everybody has to upgrade anything sometimes ;D) iŽll wait. in my opinion, win XP shurely will get better during the next months.but iŽm still not gonna use it until it has a status in our community like 98se now, so iŽll stick to 98se for the next 4 to 5 months i think

wizbones
12-15-2001, 09:59 AM
I have only had a few experiences with XP thus far and I have no desire to upgrade. I will stick with 2k Pro.

It took me three days to get XP on a Dell Inspiron 7000 to whit they claim it can be upgraded. After . . . I lost count . . umpteen attempts at installing it and it crashing, uninstalling drivers and apps and flashing the bios etc, it finally took and he's been happy with so far. I on the other hand am still having nightmare. 2 hours between each crash. Ugh.

Then I had an HP Pavillion 7480 that was upgraded from ME to XP first attempt went pretty smooth. Then he crashed n burned and it was all history from there. Wiped the drive and still cant get it installed agian. Back to ol ME. Not sure which one is worse.

Omega
12-23-2001, 07:49 PM
I personally think it's kind of strange that people are using an OS that's about 4 years old still. SPAMI could understand it, if say, the computer specs weren't high enough to run Win2k, at least, but other than that, I'm pretty sure that Win2k always was rated more highly than Win98. SPAMWinXP is also rated better than Win98, and in many cases, better than Win2k as well. SPAMI think WinME is accepted as a blunder on the part of MS, and never really gained popularity.

Peterke
01-22-2002, 07:00 AM
I use XP for testing purposes... and I runs very well... except the "emulating modes" for games (like Colin McRae racing) and stuff. If I want to try that, the games aren't playable that's why I use a dualboot with 98SE, and also to burn most of my CDs, 98 comes in handy... there are a few major bugsin XP, that you will never experience if you have a big C-partition where XP is installed:
the problems are:
-try to move (or resize) the your swap-space (=pagefile.sys) from the C-partition to another one... well... you can't really!! you change the setup and nothing changes!!
-try to move the place where your temp files are being placed to another partition (not on the XP-partition)... well the soft says: you can... but look at your (free) space of your XP-partition if you are getting your files ready to burn on the CD... your space will diminish...
-1 other stupid bug for some motherboards: the ATX powerdown doesn't work >:( ...
other bugs... I didn't find any SPAM:D

bepro
01-29-2002, 05:03 PM
Ugly colors lol
I recently upgraded to windows XP and I still like win2k better. The graphical interface is nice but you still have more options then using win2kpro compared to winxp-business. SPAMAnother reason is i dont like MS anymore, Linux is better even tho im still a newbie, and its free :)

anonym
01-30-2002, 08:47 AM
I'm using XP and here is my advice: Use Win XP only when you're having much time and nerves.

It's more relaxing with Win98 or so