Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-22-2001, 05:47 PM
JP2DUNK

Default Flash Bios

I would like to upgrade the bios of my motherboard.operating system is win 98 board is abit bh6 old type. How do I  go about getting into pure Dos to Flash and upgrade for faster 700 cpu. Thank you all
Old 12-22-2001, 06:33 PM
jinx

Default Re: Flash Bios

Hi JP,

Until an expert comes along that does it regularly, best you go to the bios homesite and review the specs on your bios/mb.
Be sure you can upgrade the bios. If so then download the upgrade and instructions.
Before starting a bios flashing procedure besure no elec storms etc will interrupt the AC source. If you have a power failure during the procedure, it is a dead duck.

See if this site is what you need:

bh6 Bios Info
Old 12-23-2001, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

For being a fairly simple operation, it's quite risky.  I haven't heard any first-hand reports of anyone having a power outage during a BIOS flash, but if you do, you're screwed.  Just download the stuff, shove it onto a floppy, I think, then run the program off the floppy.  Simple as pie!
Old 01-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

It is just that, simple!

Once you've found the update for your particular BIOS download it and save it to your hard drive.

Format a floppy and extract the program which typically creates the Image on the floppy.

Then just reboot with the floppy in the A Drive and follow the directions on screen.

If there is an option to save the current image I highly recommend this so that if somethings goes wrong you can reflash the original.

It is simple and I have never had one go wrong yet. It's just like updating drivers for the most part.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 01-02-2002, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

[quote author=jinx link=board=windows&num=1009061235&start=0#1 date=12/22/01 at 17:33:23]
Hi JP,

Until an expert comes along that does it regularly, best you go to the bios homesite and review the specs on your bios/mb.
Be sure you can upgrade the bios. If so then download the upgrade and instructions.
Before starting a bios flashing procedure besure no elec storms etc will interrupt the AC source. If you have a power failure during the procedure, it is a dead duck.

See if this site is what you need:

bh6 Bios Info

[/quote]

Not exacly...if you do lose your power during flash...you just have to dish out $34

http://store.firmware.com/cgi-bin/mfi/AB-BH6.html
Old 01-03-2002, 11:45 PM
jinx

Ahhh,
Just nothing like progress !
Old 01-13-2002, 09:37 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

[quote author=Omega link=board=windows&num=1009061235&start=0#2 date=12/23/01 at 18:32:00]
For being a fairly simple operation, it's quite risky.  I haven't heard any first-hand reports of anyone having a power outage during a BIOS flash, but if you do, you're screwed.  Just download the stuff, shove it onto a floppy, I think, then run the program off the floppy.  Simple as pie!
[/quote]
i agree with omega, and if you are that unlucky to fuck it up, send it in and one week or two later thell send you the old one back repaired or you´ll have to buy an new one for 5 to 10 $. i´ve flashed about 150 bios chips yet and never had any prob
Old 03-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Capt.Warped

I have a question regarding a particular M/B. It is an FIC
VA-503+ AWARD bios w/VIA chipset.
I went to their site and downloaded two seperate bios upgrades.
The reason I am doing this is that I had some serious problems getting the machine to run properly. I took to a computer shop to have him look it over. He said that this particular M/B had a compatibility issue with win98se. The problem is I don't know which one to use, and I only did this one other time. That one was successful. I also have another one that I want to flash.
BTW, I work on computers as a hobby.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:17 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

If there are multiple updates for your bios always flash the oldest one first to the latest and greatest in succession.

When there's an update available it usually means they've correct or fixed something that was amiss or improved the performance of existing settings.

Keep on trucking. If the two you have you are unsure of which is for yours then you need to go back to the site and determine the correct flash for your particular board.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 03-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Chef

Just wanted to take note of a fact, that even if upgrade was successful, BIOS can behave unpredictable and make certain probs after that, so it's a good point to create backup image of the old BIOS (there is usually such an option). Don't want to frighten you, but things happened

Cheers
Chef