Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hot Deals

Old 08-13-2002, 07:47 PM
CiKoTiC

Default SMC-EZ6516TX 16PT 10/100-DUAL SPEED SOHO SWITCH - $79.28

I don't get it. They have the SMC-EZ5816DS 16PT 10/100 HUBs for $132.00 and the switches for only $79.28. Oh well, better for us.

I just ordered 2 of the switches.

Get it here!
Old 08-13-2002, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

buy.com always has retarded deals like that.

Who knows what they are smoking. All I care about is getting the best deal
Old 08-16-2002, 02:55 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

For those of you looking for finding the item more quickly, it's at the bottom of the page linked...item 25 iirc.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:54 AM
mad_

Why do I feel pressured to buy this for home use.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:18 PM
CiKoTiC

It's a 'decent' deal if your looking for a 16-port 10/100 switch. I just got both of them in and I have to admit I don't like their size and the fact that the ports are on the back but hey, they are switches for cheap so I can't complain much.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

The issue of front vs. rear ports has always puzzled me somewhat. For desktop purposes I think rear ports is probably the way to go, because the way things are generally set up, it would just be cleaner. For rack-mounted switches I think front ports is really the only choice.

For example, take note of my home networking setup below. The cable modem (left top, gray/black) has all networking and power interfaces in the back, and LED indicators in the front. It appears very clean, as does the Netgear RT314 (blue, combination Internet Gateway Router and 4-port 10/100 switch), which is set up in the same fashion. The Nexland WaveBase and Compex DSR2216 (purple and gray respectively) which have network interfaces on the front appear significantly more cluttered and obtrusive (despite my best efforts to keep the cables neatly managed). I'll try to remember to take a picture of my office's network setup, which utilizes nicely organized, rack-mounted hardware and cable management systems.

Although with cables in the back, it's probably equally, if not more messy than if they were int he front, I can't see them, so like they say, "out of sight, out of mind."
Old 08-27-2002, 11:36 AM
mad_

I definately envy your Mt. Dew playing cards...
Old 08-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

dang you and your umm money

/me wants more then just a dinky lil' 8 port switch
Old 08-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Uranium-235: Ah, you want something bigger than a "dinky" 8-port switch, but do you need, and/or have any true use for it? If you examine my home network configuration from the picture (if it's at the right angle), you'll notice that I only need the cable modem and the Nexland WaveBase...not any of the other stuff. It's cool bragging rights though...kinda like RAID :-P.