PDA

View Full Version : PC card nic question

T-shirt
09-26-2002, 01:02 AM
PC card nic question for you.
setting up a laptop and now have 2 NIC's available
not that I matters for this one is a Netgear 411
the other is a Xircom (intel) cardbus nic/modem
both have been installed and ip addresses specified (10.0.0.85-86) for sharing a satellite modem via a proxy on the desktop, and work fine (one at a time)
The question being since only one can be physical attached at a time,( 32bit cardbus is a fat booger and takes up both slots) and the notebook recognises which is installed even after a hot swap, do I really need to bind them to different addresses? while both bindings always show, only the one for the currently installed nic is active (the bindings and other settings and privileges are otherwise identical.
Just curious :/

ldonyo
09-26-2002, 11:55 AM
It was possible, in NT 3.51 and 4.0, to assign up to 5 IP addresses to a single NIC, and more with a registry hack. The hack is found in this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q149426&) Knowledge Base article.

T-shirt
09-26-2002, 02:58 PM
Yes , I know you can assign multiple IP's to a nic. but I am wondering about the oppsite multiple adapators to the same IP (which would not work if they are all on at once, but in this case only one or the other would be plugged in a once. Shouldn't be a problem for the other computers as they would be looking for the Laptop on whatever IP(s) I assign as they normally would. however how would the laptop resolve 2 devices with one IP, even though only one would be active at a time?