Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-01-2001, 10:45 PM
The_Other_One

Default What PDA???

I'm looking for a PDA, but I don't know which I should get...  I want a color screen for sure.  I also want a decent amout of memeory, but an expantion slot(particualary Compact Flash)  The MAIN features I want though is the abiliy to play decent sounding MP3s and Movies(off the expantion card.)  I know my dads will play short movies off the internal memories.  Am I looking for too much in a PDA?
Old 12-01-2001, 10:56 PM
Simo

Default Re: What PDA???

Im no PDA expert, but I am also looking to get one in the next month or so.
The best ive seen so far is the Compaq Ipaq.

http://athome.compaq.com/showroom/st...paq-athome.asp

Afew different models to choose from, color screen, loads of expansion and heaps of features.

Not sure about movies and MP3s but since it runs Pocket PC 2002 it sure wouldnt suprise me if it was possible.

Let me know which one you decide on so I can have a look for the best options.

Cheers

Simo
Old 12-03-2001, 12:23 AM
Hulaboy

Judging from what the both of you are describing, I would go the way of the Compaq iPaq.  In particular, I would recommend the 3765 model.  Of course, there are other PDA's from Palm, Sony, Toshiba, etc.  Personally, I have a Palm.  It works alright but the techno geek in me wishes for the iPaq 3765.  I had the opportunity to test the iPaq for a few days and I have to admit that I am absolutely impressed by it.  Playing MP3's on it was a breeze and with it's ability to use Compact Flash cards it was absolutely great!  I was only able to test a small movie file and it wasn't as good as a desktop but pretty impressive as far as PDA's are concerned.

One thing that is keeping me back from buying it is the price tag though.  At $449-$499 a pop, I can't justify buying one...especially after buying a laptop.  So, I'll stick to my trusty Palm Vx and pray that my employers are feeling generous in the coming months...hehehe.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Yeah, I'm definately going to have to side with the iPaq.  I personally have a Handspring Visor Platinum, and it suits all my needs, but you need a springboard module to do the stuff that you were talking about (to the best of my knowledge), and I don't think there's just one that would do all of that.

Just be prepared to spend quite a bit if you want to really supe that thing up...I think for complete functionality (more stuff than what you mentioned, expansion mainly) you need to get a special expansion sleeve, and then PCMCIA cards to do whatever you want (modem, NIC, wireless NIC, Sprint AirCard, etc.).
Old 12-07-2001, 04:29 AM
Hulaboy

Oh yeah! Definitely!  I was trying to calculate how much money I would have to spend on this and compare it to what my laptop can now do.  I believe that an expansion sleeve comes with the iPaq already.  However, it is only for the Compact Flash cards.  In order to use a PCMCIA card with it you will either have to buy a combo PCMCIA-Compact Flash expansion sleeve or a separate PCMCIA expansion sleeve.  The PCMCIA expansion sleeve alone costs over $100.

So, getting the performance I would like to get from the iPaq would probably cost me an extra $300+.  Making the total of the whole thing to about $700+.  Compare that to what I got my laptop for ($705 off of Ebay), I think I can see where I can get the best bang for my buck.  Granted that my laptop isn't the fastest (P3 650 MHz w/ 256 MB RAM, 12 GB HD, DVD, CD-RW modules, etc), it can act as my desktop away from home.

Let's see if someone does get my x-mas wishlist and recognize that I have been a good boy this year...hehehe!  Here's to wishful thinking.  ;D
Old 12-23-2001, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

I think it's just great, that the new handhelds are faster than my mom's computer (150 mHz, 64 MB ram).  Unfortuantely, you probably couldn't trade in the desktop for the handheld .  An iPaq would be really cool if you were really rich, or could make your work buy it for you, but for realistic thinking, it's quite outrageous.