Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 11-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Term of the Day: power-on self test

Abbreviated POST, a diagnostic testing sequence run by a computer's BIOS as the computer's power is initially turned on. The POST will determine if the computer's RAM, disk drives, peripheral devices and other hardware components are properly working. If the diagnostic determines that everything is in working order, the computer will continue to boot.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:09 PM
CB-Byte

Does POST check the RAM?

All the while I thought that it's true, and it is but....

Correct me if i'm wrong, POST cannot detect the error when U install a Non-SDR SDRAM to a "SDR only" MOBO. U won't find any error during POST but U will notice that UR RAM is fictitious;
(128 Non-SDR + 256 SDR != 512), until the fatal error, sumthing like "XMS bad" appears during boot-up.

CB-Byte
Old 11-29-2002, 03:24 PM
xMerCLorDx

its not its job to figure out what the hell stuff you put in there WRONG.

the POST checks the basic functionality of the fundamental devices on the computer, that does include memory, but it doesn't error check from any of my experience. if you put in somethng that doesn't work, the POST halts the system. unless you disable some error checking in the bios like mine u can skip some checks..but ram is crucial so it will most definately just halt on the memory check.

why the hell would you even try to put non-sdram in a sdram only computer.. yeah good job there. we'll see how long you're building computers, thats horrible
Old 11-30-2002, 02:36 AM
eviltechie

sometimes those special beeping combinations indicates the problem diagnosed

check the mobo manuals for a complete list
Old 11-30-2002, 10:54 AM
CB-Byte

It wasn't a DDR...Generic RAM of some sort (128 MB don't have any Idea) It runs on my old Pentium 200Mhz (PC I use for interfacing projects during college) but has a problem when mix with my PQI 256 SDR SDRAM.

What the hell I am trying to do? Killing my curiosity before it kills me!

I'm still building PC.

I know about the beeps...Thanx u'r Evilness But NO beeps except for a 1 short beep...U know what it means..a OK.

How come POST did not detect any error or HALT for that matter until MSDOS boot-up.

Note: The package of the Mystery RAM, has Chips on both sides. while my PQI SDR SDRAM has chips only on 1 side.

Is it possible that I mix a buffered and unbuffered rams? I leave it to U guys.

CB-Byte