PDA

View Full Version : VNC GIVING ME TROUBLE WHEN I TRY TO ACCESS IT FROM SCHOOL

kovac
12-02-2002, 12:38 AM
hi guys.. i have 2 computers at home with vnc and a DLINK router...

i can access vnc over my home network with password and everything..

but when i go to school and try to access vnc... i get errors.

can someone tell me what ports i need to forward to both my PC's??

what else do i need to do?

computer 1: 192.168.0.123
computer 2: 192.168.0.125

help

thax

Omega
12-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Well, I think you're going to run into problems with the default configuration if you want to be able to remotely access both computers externally. I believe you'll want to forward TCP ports 5800 and 5900 on your 'router' to 192.168.0.123 or 192.168.0.125. Then you could just VNC into one of the computers, and then VNC from that computer into the other one.

xMerCLorDx
12-04-2002, 10:45 AM
well i hate to tell ya this but most schools do not allow forwarding packets to internal addresses (besides a few common ports ). there wouldn't really be a way to recieve the packets FROM your home network, even though you are sending the connection information, i dont think it will be able to establish a connection because of the firewalls implimented by your school district. You would have to be able to have access to the main routers, to forward the specific port to your computer at school.

I've tried doing the same type of thing with VPN and the pptp does not forward on this routers end, so i can't VPN from here :(

freakin a, i gotta get to class, i'll finish this later 8)

kovac
12-09-2002, 10:58 PM
thx for your help guys...

you were right about the school.. i can't access vnc from school :cry:

but i can access my computer from my friends place and stuff.

anyway... this is what u gotta do.. i found an interesting link for anyone that needs help

http://www.netmechs.com/ports_and_routers.html

blah2
04-11-2003, 05:54 PM
what you need to do is setup VNC to use port 80 or some other port that the school has open, then connect to it via that port.

thatoneperson
04-16-2006, 01:55 PM
ur ip changes periodically, if it stops working at school, that is why