Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Propig

Default Did I get hacked?

Okay guys, I promised I wouldn't ask another stupid question for at least a month..... But... here is what just happened to me.

I was surfing around the net, just checking some things out. I got an IM from a name I did not recognize. It started off like a simple chat, you know, Hi, How are ya.. I asked "Do I know you?" It said no. then it asked if I knew about hacking?

I guess I could say fortunately I had a virus on this pc about 6 months ago and had to reformat my drive. I don't have any personal info on here anymore.

I disconnected from the internet and rebooted my pc. I checked everything to see if it was okay. I don't see any problems, but now I am not sure how worried I should be. Is it possible someone was just playing a prank?

God, how stupid can I be. I am not even a full blonde anymore. GEEEZ!
Old 12-08-2002, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

My guess is you were not hacked, although I cannot say for certain. It might be worth it to run a virus scan ( http://housecall.antivirus.com is a free, web-based virus scanner). I don't think anyone with real hacking skills (past infecting someone with something like SubSeven) would be targeting you, so if you don't find something like that, you're probably alright.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:57 AM
Propig

Omega I owe you a REALLY BIG HUG also. I know ya'll must think I am pretty ditzy, but you never treat me that way. Thanks.

The scan is still running. Been going for abut 40 minutes now. For a little 4g drive I sure have a crap load of files! But I did notice one thing. My Norton is gone. Really bugs me, but I will get over it.

Based on your explanation posted for my router/hub question. If I get a router (whether it is a real one or the cable/dsl one) it will help to deter stuff like this, correct? (I know it probably will not stop it)

I have decided to postpone anymore software knowledge in leau of networking classes. I can always keep up programming skills, but I am in terrible need of understanding how it all fits together.

And it just finished. Nothing found.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Hey, n/p Propig. I don't think your ditzy...I just think you don't know that much about networking hardware...which is completely acceptable. Plus it's nice, because i get a chance to flex my geek-muscles .

To answer your question: yes. If you get a 'router,' it will prevent people from establishing connections with your computer from the WAN. (They won't be able to get at your computer...they'll get stopped at the 'router.') Unfortunately, it won't help deter annoying people from IMing you though :P.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:40 AM
Propig

Actually, I started having little bitty annoying problems, first with outlook, then word, then this, then that. I have had to reinstall my entire office suite and my java compiler. I have not gone through everything, only the stuff I have needed and since my NEW PC!!!! should be here by tomorrow, I am not going to worry too much about it.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:14 PM
TheRogue

new PC.. o0o specs plz