PDA

View Full Version : i386 uses

firecolt0
12-08-2002, 11:49 PM
I understand that if windows refuses to start for one reason or another that you can go into the i386 folder to reinstall windows without damaging any other software on your computer is this true and if so how is it done and is it different on each windows release. Please reply to help a confused user. :smoker:

CB-Byte
12-09-2002, 09:38 AM
Not all problems regarding booting-up can be solved by re-installing windows, and yes every version of windows is a diff. I386.

CB-Byte

xMerCLorDx
12-09-2002, 01:46 PM
I understand that if windows refuses to start for one reason or another that you can go into the i386 folder to reinstall windows without damaging any other software on your computer is this true and if so how is it done and is it different on each windows release. Please reply to help a confused user. :smoker:

I've never heard that about the i386 folder. I don't think any software besides windows has anything to do with it, and it won't recover your software.

Maybe if you kept your i386 folder it would keep some windows settings...oh yeah and i think only windows 2k and later have the i386 folders, but i could easily be wrong.

i'd just wipe the sucker clean instead of keeping a few folders of settings, copying a folder of windows root settings could definately complicate things.

....solved by re-installing windows... CB-Byte

a little contradictory :P :lol:

CB-Byte
12-10-2002, 11:28 AM
ur right, i386 folder contains files needed to install windows > 2K version.
Win 9x-me installation files are contained in a cabinet.

Now, if windows refuses to start for one reason or another, reinstalling windows might not solved the problem. But if u want to install windows xp without damaging other prev. installed software, try installing XP (Upgrade option).

CB-Byte

xMerCLorDx
12-11-2002, 10:27 AM
this is probably just personal preference, but i definately like win2k better.

Uranium-235
12-11-2002, 12:57 PM
CB-Byte

how long have you been a programmer? that statment is saying Greater then 2k (and not 2k - which is wrong cause I've installed it before)

it should be

windows >= 2K version

:bg:

Propig
12-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Actually wouldn't it be windows = 2k version?

xMerCLorDx
12-11-2002, 01:23 PM
well not in this context:

CB-Byte

because you would run either windows 2k or above, which would be "windows >= 2k"..

but ya the simple statement "windows = 2k" would be correct in its logic..

and if that was a little joke propig you got me goin 8)

Propig
12-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Actually, joke is on me. I got my windows versions mixed up :lol:
Yep got my head stuck in code waaaayyyy to much today.

Uranium-235
12-11-2002, 05:15 PM
actually, it would include Windows XP also, I was going by NT verison, and it would be >= NT5 (NT5.1 is XP)

CB-Byte
12-12-2002, 11:47 AM
CB-Byte

how long have you been a programmer? that statment is saying Greater then 2k (and not 2k - which is wrong cause I've installed it before)

it should be

windows >= 2K version

:bg:

:rofl: lol, been a programmer since 95' got my degree in BSCS & BSCOE in 98 employed @ NEC as SE2 for 2 years went to Japan for training came back as IT Consultant for the 4th Congressional district & currently taking up my masters degree in CS, Seldom got mixed up with logical operators, nobody's perfect I guess even MS. And U'r right, its Windows >= 2K version.

CB-Byte

xMerCLorDx
12-12-2002, 01:25 PM
whoa whoa you're all that and u said this?

....solved by re-installing windows... CB-Byte

a little contradictory :P :lol:

eeheheheh 8) -- sorry god i'm a nerd

back to the subject: i386 directory.

It is used for net booting if you run a distribution server, thats the directory you copy over. Hope that helps clear some things up.