Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-09-2002, 11:05 PM
me

Default Zone Alarm-Win 98SE problems

Hi All. I'm running Win 98SE and IE 6.0 and Zone Alarm is not allowing me to click on links in pages. The screen just blinks and the new page doesnt load.It does it on MSN Messenger screen when you click on New Mail Messages.Any thoughts anyone?
Old 12-09-2002, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

It sounds almost like it's blocking outbound requests to port 80. I've never actually used ZoneAlarm, but I'd imagine there's some table of what ports/activity is being blocked. Look in there for the restrictions. If you see something about port 80, probably delete that. If you can't find the culprit in there, it might be helpful to see what the current restrictions are for your ZoneAlarm configuration. I'm inferring this, but it sounds like you can type in a URL and it will load, but just clicking a link doesn't work. Please confirm or deny this.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:40 PM
ME

Yes,I can type in a URL and that page will load fine.I can also right click on the link in a page,copy the URL address and paste in the address bar,press enter and the page will load.Its almost like I have a"Pop-Up Stopper"type program installed,but I dont.I also checked the config settings in Zone Alarm,and the "Ad Blocking " and "Cookie Controls" are both set to Off.

Could this be a IE problem as opposed to a Zone Alarm problem.It just started happening when I upgraded to ZA Pro from the free version of ZA.Turning off ZA from the system tray doesnt fix the problem.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Me

Well,I solved my problem.I re-installed Win 98 and went back to IE 5.5.I still have ZA Pro installed.I dont know if returning to 5.5 makes any difference,but I guess I was missing a file somewhere and the re-install restored it. Thanks for the help. <---happy web-surfer...again!
Old 12-13-2002, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

THere should be a section in ZoneAlarm that controls the settings for programs. Under that section you should be able to set what programs you want to allow access to the internet. Make sure Internet Explorer 6 is allowed if you choose to try it again.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:14 AM
Me

Just re-installed IE 6 the other day and works fine except "Windows Update" still doesnt work. It will go to the update page,but when asked to scan for updates,it quits.The permissions in ZA are set correctly.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 12:47 AM
Me

Just solved that one too...I was missing the file...vbscript.dll. Went to System File Checker and d/l'd that particular file from my Windows disc. Now WinUpdate works fine.

Thanks