PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help save Hardware Pub?

Keefe
12-15-2001, 10:25 AM
As you may or may not know Hardwarepub.com is been going up and down for the last two days. SPAMSite5 has been deactivating my account because they claim my site is using too many resources. SPAMI have about a month to get another host. SPAMI have decide that I have had enough with shared hosting and I am going to build my own server. SPAMI already have the bandwidth, now all I need is the server. SPAMI am asking if anyone has any spare hardware or cash that I could use to built the server. SPAMAny little bit helps! SPAMIf you own a business I will place a banner for you on Hardwarepub if you help us out. SPAMI know if we all work together we can get this going. SPAMOnce the server is built netsmog will be moved to it also since we are near our limits also.

Thanks Very Much

Keefe

wizbones
12-15-2001, 11:20 AM
How much space and bandwidth are you currently using? I may be able to host you until you get your server built. Unfortunately I have no extra parts laying around to help in that respect.

Keefe
12-15-2001, 11:28 AM
we are getting about 5000 hits per day...

Xplosive
12-15-2001, 07:11 PM
Us too, at Explosive Hardware (http://www.explosivehardware.net we are getting around 5000-7000 hits per day. I find our servers do a pretty good job at handling them.
Ventures Online (http://www.venturesonline.com they provide many different packages and no setup fee. ;)

Simo
12-18-2001, 07:26 AM
Also worth a look are http://www.tier1host.net/
heard nothing bad about them...and there pretty cheap.

And i know that they can handle high bandwidth sites cuz they host www.cooltext.com

Dustin
12-23-2001, 05:20 PM
HardwarePub shouldn't be 'saved', because there's nothing worth saving. You and ExplosiveHardware are both the bane of the hardware site industry.

First off, your awful grammar, spelling, writing structure, and read flow disgusts me. You guys write like 14 year olds, which I suspect you are.

Second, reviewing sticks of ram, rounded cables and other pointless items isn't a good way to start a site, and they're most certainly not ways to exemplify your journalism skills or your site's quality.

Additionally, for other youngins looking for free hardware, don't start sites like this. You're the reason good hardware and tech sites are going down the drain. Ever wonder why your favorite SPAMgaming site is down? Look to sites like these for your answer. There are simply too many of these kind of sites bloating up the fabric of the internet, and destroying business for many hard working people.

If you want to be a tech writer, and that's your passion; try to get in with an already working site. Work hard, write well and present a test article for the site. If you're worthy, then you'll be on the way to being a good, professional journalist.

From what I've read at your sites, especially Explosive Hardware; you guys need to work on all aspects of site management and writing.

The first thing to really do is focus on writing quality. Every article I read from either site is full of grammatical errors and misused words and horrible flow. This needs to be fixed to look more professional. The more professional you look, the more companies will smile upon you, and the more you will be able to write reviews. It's a circle that goes around and around.

I'm not trying to be mean, or insulting, but I really feel for the webmasters of sites that have once made profit, and now lose tons of cash. I've been there, I've experienced it first hand, and I experience it now.

I wish you guys all the best, and I hope you take my advice to heart, because I'd love to see great work from ya'll in the future!

Omega
12-23-2001, 07:29 PM
I suppose if I really wanted, I could point out errors in just your one post, but I really don't want to get into that. SPAMManaging any web site is difficult; I'll get that out there right now. SPAMAt HWP we're definitely not just sitting around trying to rake in the big dollars.

Secondly, our site has been in existence for about two years now, and we're constantly working on improving our standing in the Internet community. SPAMGranted, we surely have our share of grammatical and/or spelling errors, but I defy you to find a site of equal or greater size as HardwarePub without problems.

I would also like to question your intentions in your post. SPAM"Your awful grammar, spelling, writing structure, and read flow disgusts me" can't be interpreted in any way much other than intending insult, which you denied in your post, saying, "I'm not trying to be mean, or insulting."

I also believe you are being a little quick to point the finger at my site for your loss of money. SPAMI'll be quite candid and tell you that I'm definitely not taking any of your money, or anyone else's for that matter.

In response to your comment "There are simply too many of these kind of sites bloating up the fabric of the internet, and destroying business for many hard working people," I would like to ask you first, what makes these other people that I'm apparently destroying business for more worthy than myself, and secondly, when did you observe my work ethic, to categorize me as not hard working? SPAMAccording to your comment I surely can't be hard working, since then I would be destroying my own business.

Additionally, shouldn't you be happy if I have terrible grammar, spelling, and flow? SPAMAs you pointed out, "It's a circle that goes around and around." SPAMYou begin your post by giving reasons why we shouldn't exist, yet conclude your post by encouraging us, saying "I'd love to see great work from ya'll in the future!"

If you figure out which you want, get back to me, but also, not until you can show me this site you keep saying we should be like, without error, perfect grammar and spelling, excellent flow, and only reviewing the products that you consider important. SPAMLike Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" (or something like that).

Steve-O
12-23-2001, 07:29 PM
Ok Dustin you have crossed the line when you mention my RAM review is pointless. Lets see you start your own site, I dont think you can. Do you think were HardOCP, Anandtech, or any other site like that? No. I am a 15 year old kid here. Do you think me being 15 makes me a non-computer reviewer, do you think all the smaller sites pumping out 4-5 reviews a week are pieces of crap? Lets see, Anand only does 1 a week. We are a hard working crew. I dont have $5,000 to spend on a layout. All this was handmade. I think you better think about the aspect of things here buddy. We are small, just as every other site was small. We are growing just like every other tech site has been growing, and we will hopefully become a major player in the reviewing future also. If your opinions are here to make us all feel bad and be compared to something we are not, they you might as well get out of here.

Paul
12-23-2001, 10:34 PM
Dustin,
obviously you are a disgruntled staff member from hardware site that has shut down. You have come to our forums and plagued it with your insulting reply. Our site and all the other tech sites out there have no responsibility what so ever for the closing of large websites. They are responsible for their own financial states. You claim that we run a site like this for just some free hardware but you are wrong. If our site is so unprofessional why do large manufacturers agree to send us products for reviewing? They are not ignorant and just send hardware to anyone who claims they work for a tech site. Obviously they like and respect sites like ours or else they would not send us hardware to review. So next time before you post think of what you are saying.

Big_E
12-23-2001, 11:09 PM
Dustin,
Thank you for your comment. We at Hardware Pub strive to become a leading computer hardware review website.
To answer your questions:
-Yes. The majority of our reviews are by teenagers. I am the eldest at 18 years of age. I appreciate that you brought up the point of our reviews containing grammatical errors. Although I am Senior Hardware Editor, I am preoccupied with writing my own reviews and do not have time to proof read my colleagues' work. We will go through all our reviews to conform and spell check them.
-With regards to our reviews, we do have ones that focus on "quality" components. Some include the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ review just posted tonight, ATI Radeon 8500 (which proved very popular), EPoX 8KHAL and MSI K7T266 Pro2 KT266A motherboards, and many more video card and motherboard ones. However, we do not want to focus exclusively on such components. Thus, other reviews on memory, cases, and miscellaneous components add variety to our reviews. Furthermore, we are strengthening relationships with several online retailers and manufacturers, such as EPoX, ATi, and Monarch Computers, to provide us the latest hardware to review.
-I would like to point out that not everyone works for free hardware. For example, I work because I have a passion for computers promoting products I like. The majority of reviews are on my own hardware. I upgrade like every month. In addition, with my recent EPoX 8KHAL review, with which we were the second website to publish such a review, I did not keep the motherboard and returned it to EPoX. Also, one can't rely entirely on major sites like Anandtech to keep them updated on the computer world. Do they have an EPoX 8KHAL review? Every site is different. And please do not say we're not hard working.
-With regards to management, I would like to say that Keefe and David are doing an incredible job at managing this site. We are much better now than we were a month ago. Our site is much cleaner. And, we have grown twice as big this month alone. Moreover, please keep in mind we are high school and college students as well.
-With regards to our work, I can understand that everyone has their own writing style. As an editor myself, with many years of high school English behind my back, I believe I am writing well. Please read my AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and Radeon 8500 reviews and please comment on my writing style. If I am doing something bad, I want to fix or improve it.
-With regards to other webmasters out there. They're site is they're site. Hardware Pub is our site. We focus on our site alone. Personally, I don't care if Anandtech or whoever is losing money. As of now, we are not running this website to make money. Rather, everyone donates and contributes to keep this website afloat. We are just a bunch of hardware enthusiasts that want to express ourselves and become the best site out there. Based on your experience, we would be more than grateful if you would share some tips for website success ;-) .
I believe this answers all your questions and comments.
Thank you for posting.
Edward Chang
Senior Hardware Editor / Marketing Manager
Big_E@hardwarepub.com

-
-

Dustin
12-23-2001, 11:14 PM
Ahh, I was expecting angry replies. That's quite alright though.

Just so you know, I was highly associated with the original HardwarePub, run by 1derful and whoever else it was, all those years back. They wanted to use my tweak guides, which I allowed them to, although, they were posted on Tweak3D.net soon after.

As for my lack of experience, or however you put it, I have plenty of experience in dealing with websites. I'm a previous writer for Tweak3D, I'm friends with Jim McMahon, the owner of the once-great tweakfiles, I'm friends with Thomas at 3D Spotlight, Tuan N at Firing Squad, blah blah. Additionally, I'm a writer and co-manager of EverythingUSB, and work every day, consulting with my boss, working out new site designs, ideas, and communicating with companies such as Logitech, Microsoft, Adaptec, Iomega, Intel and others.

I don't question your work ethic, but I do question the quality of work. From a site standpoint, HardwarePub is sure a lot better when I first made 'donations' to it, quite a long time ago. I think you're doing a good job as webmaster, but the real concern is the writers. I understand you're young and unexperienced, but the only way to get better is to accept criticism and learn from your mistakes. I've come a long way in my years, just like anyone.

I don't stand back on ram reviews being pointless, because they are. I suggest you do a ram roundup, as you'll have more to work with article-wise.

Everyone makes mistakes, and the best way to learn from them is to take the good and bad opinions and mature from them.

As for Explosive Hardware, I have nothing to say about that site.

PS: I would appreciate it if you pointed out my grammatical errors as well.

Dustin
12-23-2001, 11:17 PM
Big-E, you replied like a professional, and I'm very impressed and appreciative of that. You know how to deal with comments very well.

I don't deny the webmasters are doing a good job, no way.

My initial comments were far too hostile, and I apologize. HardwarePub is not nearly as bad as ExplosiveHardware. And when I say that, I mean it. Comparing HardwarePub to ExplosiveHardware was insulting to you guys, and I apologize. It's like comparing apples to stones, there's no point.

As for sites losing money, it's not really a case of Anand not having a new Porsche, but more the case of sites like TweakFiles, Guru3D and the Duke of URL being banished from the face of the earth, because of a dying advertising industry; quite possibly attributed to a huge number of 'tech sites' popping up.

Edit:

I read your Radeon and Athlon XP reviews. I have no complaints about them, because they're good reviews. The only real thing I could see is simply avoiding the use of first person references, like 'I' or 'my'. In formal reviews and essays, the use of I should be avoided. In news posts or editorials or other more 'casual' things, I is fine. I think they teach that in English class? Other than that, you have great writing skills and I know you'll be better each time you write an article. I know it seems hard to cut out 'I', but after a while, it's natural. :)

Raxizhad
12-24-2001, 11:53 PM
Hello, Dustin.

I am "Raxizhad" from Hardwarepub.com . Big_E recently displayed to me this post. Hardwarepub.com, as of the past weeks, has come a very long ways compared to when "Trevelyan", "1derful", and "Val" were in charge. As a staff member, and reviewer, I just like to say that I think that Keefe, and David "Omega", are doing a superb job with Hardwarepub.com.

Hardwarepub's highest daily stat session was SPAM7,277 daily views. Now we are sitting on an average of around 5000 per day, when our site is up.

I do realize that our design is lingering us behind from sites such as Tweak3D, and Rage3D, but I am currently doing a full site re-development on Hardwarepub, that in my opinion, makes us look more professional than some of the largest independant hardware sites on the web.

Our new design will be very user friendly with resolutions of 800x600, and above.

Our design will also have much cleaner code, and a new easy-to-update system. Basically what my point is, is that I'm trying to say that we are doing MUCH better than we were before Keefe aqquired us.

Hardwarepub, back when it was ran by "Trevelyan", and the other members, was lacking content. Now we are pushing 2-6 new articles per week.

Also, as for ExplosiveHardware.net, I agree that it is veyr unprofessional, and the articles aren't to great. ExplosiveHardware is run basically for kicks, so that the owner can have a thrill ride.

We at Hardwarepub are 100% dedicated to producing the highest quality content, of the latest, and greatest products.

As you may notice in my "Alpha PAL8045" review, I definitly don't mind stepping on any toes. I got an email from Swiftech flaming my review, but I simply told them that I wasn't going to make up a false story in my review.

Anyways, we accept your apology, and wish you a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

Simo
12-25-2001, 06:59 AM
One thing that I think needs to be said is that while site layout is importent, its the content and writing style that really earns $, respect in the online community and of course return readers.

I use www.dansdata.com for an example because Dans site has, no offence, one of the worst layouts Ive seen for a PROFESSIONAL site.

Professional? SPAMYes thats right. SPAMI know for a fact that in addition to all the freelance writing that Dan does for Icon, Atomic MPC, and Australian PC among others dansdata.com earns the guy approximently the the same as the Average aussie wage. (About 35 - 40,000 AUD)

Now if the site is so badly designed what brings the readers back?

Is it the reviews? The hardware? The How To's?

Well while it is all those things, id say the biggest draw is Dan himself, I mean you can reconise the guys writing style from a mile away.

IMHO I think that if you want to get return readers (which hardwarepub are obviously doing) you need to get a difinitive style....then the rest will come.

BTW excuse my ULTRA bad spelling, had a hard day in the sun and sand SPAM:D

thetechfreak
01-05-2002, 09:54 AM
First off, your awful grammar, spelling, writing structure, and read flow disgusts me. You guys write like 14 year olds, which I suspect you are.

wit us 14 yr oldz wots wrong? SPAM>:(

i agree that reviews shouldn't be written in slang but all age groups use slang (well maybe not the oldies) on the net, it uses less time and amongst peers is alot easier to read. ive read a forum post (not here) where the writer used full proper spelling and grammer and it was annoying to read when it could of been made less than half the size.

TigeR
01-06-2002, 12:52 AM
Well, I'll give Dustin some backup.

This site is near laughable. SPAM

You're looking for server hardware, while one of your "writers" is off selling the IWill motherboard and XP1700+ he probably got for free.

I would suggest you guys take some courses on professional and technical writing and then give it another go.

Simo
01-06-2002, 01:19 AM
Not trying to stir up trouble, but what site do you hail from sir?

Also what qualifications do you hold that make you such a fine judge of the english language.

If you have a Masters of Modern English (or whatever they are called in America) then ok, thats fine.

If your site attracts 5000+ hits a day then that is also fine, you have every right to talk about how inferior the site is.

If however you do not meet the above then please shutup.

Im sick of people having a winge just because they can without backing up there complaints, by giving us an example of their site and how good it is.

Dispite all the whining I still say that to get 5000+ hits a day they must being doing something right.....

TigeR
01-06-2002, 01:25 AM
5,000 hits per day is NOT hard to do.

5,000 pageviews per day is a bit more difficult, SPAMbut still nothing major.

FYI... i'm a writer at AMDZone.com.

wizbones
01-06-2002, 01:30 AM
After reading this thread . . . . I see a great story board forming in my head . . . .

Coming to theaters in your neck of the woods this summer it's . . . . . .

I'll get back to you later with a name SPAM8)

Phew, you guys all take life far too seriously. Take a pill, chill and continue on in an orderly fashion.

He said, she said gets you no where fast. Do the best you can with what you have and strive to improve as time moves forward.

The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement. Everyone's ideas, opinions etc can be improved upon in someone elses eyes.

If it doesn't affect your breathing? It's no big deal. Can't we all just get along?

Thanks for tuning in this week with Dr Wizbones, now let's tune in to some classical jazz why don't we . . . .

Simo
01-06-2002, 04:00 AM
Do you have a degree in writing TigeR?

I agree that 5000 hits a day aint hard. SPAMIve been involved with sites that get 50,000 - 80,000 a day...and that still isnt THAT much.

And im not going to tell what sites simply cuz they are in no way related to computer hardware and I wasnt involved in designing or writing for them.

I took a peep @ AMDZone and yes it is a nice site....however I dont think it is in anyway better than Hardwarepub.

AND the layouts are basically the same.

Seriously compare the two side by side (make sure to scrooll both sites all the way down) and you'll be suprised what you see.

AMDZone might get more cash flow, but thats about it....as far as writing style goes I read two reviews radomly from each site and AMDZone seems to lean to ward a formal style (which is good) while Hardwarepub has a more casual style to it (which is also good).

The point imm trying to make is I dont understand why people keep coming here just to bag out the Admin's site....I mean seriously even if you think your site is gods gift to the web (or even if it actually is) that doesnt give you the right to knock someone elses handywork.

I say if everyone just worryed about there own job then we would all be alot better off.

If someone from one of my competitors walked through the door and started telling me how to do my job, then more than likely they are either basking in there own glow or are doin it in a way which makes you feel like shit.

All Im seeing here is a mine is better than yours attitude. SPAMOk...what makes it better than mine?

The fact we can afford Coldfusion? And to actually pay our staff a wage? SPAM

I say no.

And on a parting note I refer again to DansData

No offence to either hardwarepub or AMDZone, but (layout aside) Dan woops both your asses.

Remember, no matter how big,bad or cool you are (or think you are), there is someone bigger, badder and much much cooler. SPAM

SPAM
just my 2c.

TigeR
01-06-2002, 12:39 PM
I'm not telling you, or anyone how to do their job.

I saw a link to your site, through one of your writers, who was trying to sell something he reviewed. SPAMSo I thought i'd check it out.

The article was one of the worst I had ever read. SPAMSo I checked a few others out. SPAMWhile they were better, they aren't near quality IMO.

I'm simply saying that in its current form, this site is laughable.

BTW, That rant Joe wrote over at ProCooling.com. SPAMI'm pretty sure that pertained this THIS site as well.

Smoked1
01-08-2002, 02:16 AM
Here’s a thought. How about if all you guys that are criticizing these young people take a step back and take some things into consideration. When I was that age I was out causing trouble. Besides these sites target a totally different demographic than what you are probably used to. Get the hell outa here and keep your mouth shut unless you have some encouragement for these young people. You should be ashamed of yourselves for discouraging these people who are obviously doing something positive with their lives. I also write reviews and I am fairly new at it. I do it because I think it's fun and I have a desire to help the consumer. I think that I am getting pretty good at it too. Well I am outa here. Keep in mind that you are an asshole the next time you come here.

Smoked1
01-08-2002, 11:28 AM
thats what I thought!

pcpowerzone
01-10-2002, 06:36 PM
Did the hardwarepub server problem get resolved yet?

Keefe
01-10-2002, 06:47 PM
We are currently building a server.

pcpowerzone
01-11-2002, 02:29 PM
BTW, That rant Joe wrote over at ProCooling.com. SPAMI'm pretty sure that pertained this THIS site as well.

what excactly is "this THIS"?

pcpowerzone
01-11-2002, 02:35 PM
I have to tell you Tiger (or is that big fucking wanking fag lick), I had visited AMDZone.com before I discovered hardwarepub, which one did I bookmark, well not yours. Get some personality, and a life. Oh, and suck my big hairy dick!

P.S: Oh, and grow up while you are at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smoked1
01-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Well said. I would have to agree with him... SUCK A FAT COCK YOU STUPID SON OF A GOAT!

Trevor
01-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Whoa, this is kinda weird. BTW, this is Trevor... you know... "Trevelyan." SPAMYou guys really don't need to put quotes around my name; makes me feel like I'm some horrible embarrassment that everyone avoids talking about.

Anyways, it's been quite some time since I've owned HardwarePub... maybe a few months since I sold it someone who sold it to you guys. And just so you guys know, I was there from the beginning. (And BTW, hey Dustin, long time no see.). If you don't know, the original (and I mean VERY FIRST) owner was Skeptik... but I took over because he sucked, but that's another story.

Anyways, I still visit hardwarepub.com every now and then, and honestly I like what you've done with my layout. Very nice, very clean, except for some small problems.

I don't think HWP was 'THAT' bad back when I owned it. True, it was stagnant for a long time, simply because it was monopolizing my life and so I just gave up on it. But for a time, we were pulling in 150,000 impressions a month. (And BTW, if you think 5,000 hits means 5,000 people visit your site a day, you are mistaken. It's most likely about 700 impressions, which means 700 page views, which is NOT good.)

Anyways, thanks everyone for bashing the site. I honestly won't really defend it, since I haven't seen anything that really makes it special, but I really do admire the new staff - they seem to be a lot more committed than I ever was, so I'll give them that.

Well good luck to you guys in your endeavour... hopefully you will succeed in your quest. Heh, maybe in ten years when your site is famous and you're rich I'll say "Man, and to think I sold that site and all it's content for $150."