PDA

View Full Version : Conect 2 networks

~Panter~
01-21-2003, 03:06 AM
Hello. I am new here, so please don't blame me if this question was allready discussed here. I have problems with connecting 2 networks. At my home, i have 2 computers, and wireless router--> D-Link DL614+ My neigbour have computer with WiFi card DWL 520+ and another ethernet card, which is connected to his brother's computer. I can acces to his computer, an he can acces to mine, but i cannot acces to his brother's computer. We all have WinXP and we tried to bridge the two network adapters on his computer, but that didn't work. All we have achieved was that he's brother saw mine comp. on network but he couldn't acces to it. Is there something special to set? And excuse for my language, because i don't speak english to well. Thank you for your help

Omega
01-25-2003, 02:09 AM
I would suggest making sure you're all on the same IP subnet. I've been in situations where I've been able to see computer in a Windows workgroup, but not been able to access them, since we were in different subnets, working without a router.

If you are indeed on the same subnet, start with low-level connectivity tests, like simple pings. If a ping is successful, then I think it's just a matter of making sure your security settings are configured correctly to allow him access to your computer.

I've only used the bridge feature in Windows XP once before, and I don't remember it particularily well. I seem to recall it being somewhat buggy. I think network connectivity was interrupted on the computer running the bridge. If they can afford it, you might consider advising them to get a wireless access point, and then having them connect via ethernet from that.

TheRogue
01-26-2003, 05:47 AM
also make sure your not overlapping ip adresses

im not a guru so this is just an idea :)

have your network of computers start with 10.1.x.x, and his 10.2.x.x, bridge them

eg

1C> <2C
1A>-<2A
1B> <2B

1A = 10.1.0.1, 1B = 10.1.0.2, 2A = 10.2.0.1 etc...

try pinging 2B from 1C etc..