Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-14-2001, 06:09 PM
portzion

Default Napster

So what about the freedom of information?  Napster forced to create new membership service that will be ready by the end of this year?  0110111011 MP3s could be free, we could all create them to share and listen to music.  Technically speaking Mr. $ 0s and 1s could cost us nothing, so share baby share!  http://www.napster.com checkout napster t-shirt or sign up for to be a beta tester!
Old 10-15-2001, 12:57 PM
coldy

Default Re: Napster

Don't worry about napster, there are a gazillion other things you can use to get free information.

Bearshare
Morpheus
Old 10-15-2001, 02:44 PM
portzion

True that, but they are trying to control Napster, a program with over 80 million registered users, which was seeing some 250,000 daily downloads of its software, a number that's fallen to 150,000 a day still as of 6/19/01.  90% of its music blocked, yes there are many other non-owned suible true freebased software, like gnutella.  BUT we as TRULY Napster is a Community, can't let this happen by the Goverment and $$$ Instituion as a whole, all music should be and is free!  http://www.portzion.com
Old 10-15-2001, 03:11 PM
coldy

If all music is free then musicians will not get paid and they will therefore stop making music, this means no music for anyone.
Nothing is ever free, somewhere along the line someone must be paying for it and someone must be paid for it, in this case its the consumers who have to pay the musicians for the music.
If i were you i would be glad that we still have free sites such as gnutella left.
Old 10-16-2001, 02:09 AM
Simo

i know this is going to cause a stir but I totally agree with Coldy.
Stop being cheap, if you like something then fork up the $$ and buy it.
As someone whos worked in the industry (music) I know that the musos get VERY little of the cash as it is after everyone has taken there cut.
By taking the music for free you make that cut even smaller.
if you dont believe me think of this:
  • manager = 20% gross
  • agent = 10% gross
  • record co = varys between 30 and 80%  of whats left after the above take there cut.
  • tax = depends on where you live and what you earn.
+ heaps of others...
see what Im getting at..??
Old 10-20-2001, 09:23 PM
techman

Napster is dead!  I doubt if even 5 % of previous napster users will come back to it.  There are so many other programs likes Kazia and limewire.
Old 02-09-2002, 01:59 AM
portzion

Default Napster Revisted

okay im going to download Napster and see for myself if it is better in any way shape or form then open gnut cyberspace, i'll even go one step futher and pay for a full user account and thoughtfully inspect napster's final upon release and tell you what i find in total unbiased perspective from a user's view of sharing mp3's online, peace till whenever then is hopefully soon! -zen christ