Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 02-24-2002, 04:22 PM
Roy

Default The Taming of Rnaapp.exe

My present Operating System is Windows 98 SE and for some time now I have been plagued with the antics of Rnaapp.exe, interfering and causing application conflicts, CD music copying interference and so on. This Dial-Up
Networking essential, actually having the audacity to load at start up, uninvited and consuming my precious computer resources!

In my search to find a method to stop Rnaapp from loading at start up, I must have read hundreds of articles on how to cure the problems caused by this little chap. It seemed to me that everyone was trying to bolt the door after the horse was loose! It seemed to make sense, therefor, to stop it from loading in the first place and to only allow it to load when needed.

The problem is really caused by the choice of Rnaapp's home, in Windows System. It's home should have been in Dial-Up networking, and only allowed out to play when Dial-Up Networking is activated. The application can, of course, be housed almost anywhere, as once evicted from Windows System, it cannot load of it's own volition, so to speak.

I decided to re-house it and after copying and pasting it to the Desktop, I deleted it from Windows System. Next on the agenda was to find a way to get it to start as a running process so that a Dial-up Networking connection could be activated. The solution was to create a new Desktop shortcut that included both Rnaapp.exe and the ISP providers Dial-Up Networking shortcut. This new shortcut was created and dragged from the Desktop to a convenient location on the Taskbar, a simple Mouse click on this shortcut, activating it as a necessary running process, thus allowing a normal Dial-Up Networking internet connection to be made.

The benefits of removing Rnaapp.exe from Windows System are several; it resolves a Security issue in the prevention of a 'viral or hacking invasion' from dialling out. All Non Internet operations are now free from Rnaapp's
intrusive interference, especially CD-Writing mis-burns. Whilst Rnaapp cannot be blamed for all application conflicts and crashes, it certainly was responsible for a hefty proportion. The reason for these problems, being, of course, that Rnaapp remained resident in the Computers Memory after being started, thus compromising the information handled by the Memory, and it has been the compromised memory that has caused many computing difficulties.

Having at last 'Tamed' Rnaapp.exe, I feel it incumbent to make the procedure that I used to resolve this issue freely available, and to provide this, in a step by step format suitable for a beginner to digest, as follows:

Requirements.
New Taskbar Shortcut containing copies of Rnaapp.exe and of the Dial-Up Networking Connection (ISP Provider)

Step 1
Create a New Internet Connection Shortcut by accessing Dial-Up Networking, highlighting your ISP Provider Connection with a right Mouse Click and select 'create shortcut'; this will place a shortcut on your Desktop.

Step 2
Go to Start, Find, Files or Folders, left Mouse click and in 'Named:' Type Rnaapp.exe and select 'Find Now.' Copy Rnaapp.exe and paste it on to the Desktop.

Step 3
We will now create a new shortcut that combines these two new Desktop items, the copy of Rnaapp.exe and your Dial-Up Networking Connection Shortcut. To do this, we must specify the exact path. To find this exact path to your
Dial-Up Networking Connection, go to Desktop/File/New, select Shortcut, Select Browse, followed by Windows, scroll to Desktop, noting that 'Files of type' must be set to 'All Files.' Choose your ISP Provider Shortcut and select 'Open', write down the path that is shown, then cancel in order to close.

Step 4
Return to Desktop/File/New and choose Shortcut. Type in the Command Line box the following, noting that 'x' stands for the path to your ISP Provider Shortcut, that you previously have written down, as follows,

c:\windows\desktop\rnaapp.exe 'x'
Note the single space separating the two new desktop items, Rnaapp.exe and
'x'

Here is an example of a typical Command Line,

c:\windows\desktop\rnaapp.exe c:\windows\desktop\freeserve anytime.ink
Again, note the single space separating the desktop items.

Step 5
After entering the two desktop items in the Command Line box, press Next and the new shortcut will be placed on the Desktop, this shortcut can now be dragged to the Taskbar.
Note that if you want to change the Icon, right click on this new shortcut and select Properties/Change Icon, then highlight the chosen Icon, press OK followed by Apply and Close.

A Mouse click on this new Taskbar shortcut will now activate Rnaapp.exe as a running process.

Note that if you click on the three Keyboard Keys, Ctrl, Alt and Delete, you will see that Rnaapp.exe is a running process.

As Rnaapp.exe is now up and running, you will be able to connect to the Internet as Normal.

It happens that I use the Scriptit.exe application to start a number of applications simultaneously, one of these groups is the very necessary Internet applications that I load before connecting to the Internet. These applications involve some 8 processes being started at once, and with a single Mouse click.

These applications are as follows,
Atomic.exe - This application corrects my Computer Date and Time once daily.
Modem Manager.exe - This U.S.Robotics displays good information about the Internet connections and keeps a log of all Internet activity.
AVG.exe - This absolutely essential Anti Virus application, the very best available.
ZoneAlarm.exe - This FireWall makes my Computer invisible to other Internet users and protects me from attacks.
Spyblocker.exe - Prevents the download of Spy software via cookies etc onto my computer, whilst surfing.
Internet Explorer IE 6.0 - This Browser is used for Http and Https work, whilst Opera 6.01 is used for Ftp work.
Freeserve Anytime - My Isp Connection
Rnaapp.exe - Last but not least, the essential Remote Network Access Application

These 8 applications are all started simultaneously with a single Mouse click on a Taskbar located shortcut, and without a single splash screen in evidence because I have 'silenced' these as well!

For those interested in my home built rig, construction is as follows,

Motherboard: MSI K7T266 Pro (MSI-6380)
BIOS: American Megatrends V.1.4 0707401 dated 07/04/2001
CPU: AMD Athlon 1.4GHz - not overclocked
Memory: 512BM DDR PC2100 - soon to be upgraded to 1GB
Promise Ultra 100 TX2 Controller Card.
Hard Drive #1 40GB 7200 Rpm ATA 100 and Hard Drive #2 60BG ATA 100
Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-116   HP CD-Writer 9100i
All four of the IDE devices are each Jumpered as Master, with each connected by separate cables, the Hard Drives being connected to the Promise Controller Card and the CD-ROMS connected to EIDE 1 and EIDE 2 of the
Motherboard. The CD-Writer enjoying the freedom of mis-burns by having it's own cable.
The hard drives unencumbered by not having to share a single cable.
The 60GB hard drive being used for Backup and Disaster Recovery purposes along with Norton Ghost 2002 and contains a Cloned Image of the working hard drive. I also have Cloned Hard Drive Images written to CD, this provides a Backup and Disaster recovery system as infallible as it gets!
Graphics: Creative 3D GeForce 3 Titanium 500
Sound: Creative Audigy Player with Desktop Theatre 5.1 DTT2500
Modem: U.S.Robotics Message Modem
Keyboard: Microsoft Internet Pro USB
Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB
PSU: 300 Watt

;D
Old 02-24-2002, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235
Default Re: The Taming of Rnaapp.exe

You know I'm not actually in the mood to read all that. I just skimmed it  
Old 02-24-2002, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235
Default Re: The Taming of Rnaapp.exe

oh yeah, you're upgrading to 1gb of ram? Don't run windows98 under that, it will crash and burn. Windows 98 can only optimize up to 512M of ram. If it tries to optimize beyond that it will not be able to and it will cause major instabiilties.