Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 02-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Roy

Default How to Use Scriptit.exe

This article is about using Scriptit.exe for starting simultaneously, a large number of applications or processes with a single Mouse click. The items selected to start will in fact load consecutively.
Using Scriptit is ridiculously easy and I provide step by step instructions, as follows,

Step 1
Download Scriptit.exe from httphttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/dow...s/Scriptit.exe
(Ignore the fact that this is part of the NT Resource Kit, it works fine on Windows 95/98/ME)
Choose save the file to Disk, location Desktop.

Step 2
Scriptit.exe can be housed anywhere on the Computer where there exists access to File,New\Shortcut, but for the purposes of this instruction, we will choose Windows System as the home.
Copy Scriptit.exe and paste into Windows System. the Desktop copy can now be deleted.

Step 3
open NotePad and in Capitals, type SCRIPT, enclosed in square brackets [ ] as per the example,
[SCRIPT]

The items that are required to start are then entered immediately under the [SCRIPT] heading as Paths and the best way to do this is by copying and pasting, as this prevents typing errors and incorrect path entries.
The best way to explain this is by example. and what follows is a sample of the Script that I use in order to start my internet connection,

[SCRIPT]
run="C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\3Com U.S. Robotics\3Com Modem Manager.lnk"
run="C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Atomic Clock Sync\Atomic Clock Sync.lnk"
run="C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus - FREE Edition\AVG Control Center.lnk"
AVG Control Center=OK
run="C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Fire Wall\ZoneAlarm.lnk"
run="C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\SpyBlocker\SpyBlocker.lnk"
run=C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\rnaapp.exe
run="C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer.lnk"
run="C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Freeserve Anytime.lnk"

You will see that 8 applications or processes are started at once with a mouse click on the conveniently located Desktop Taskbar Shortcut.

Step 4
I will now describe how I found the exact path for the first item, run="C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\3Com U.S. Robotics\3Com Modem Manager.lnk"

Go to Desktop, File, New, Shortcut and choose Browse.
Under Files of Type, select All Files and highlight Windows and press Open.
Scroll sideways to Start Menu and press Open
Highlight Programs and press Open
Highlight 3Com Modem manager and press Open
In the Command line Box, highlighted in blue, was found the exact path to 3Com Modem Manager.Ink, this was copied  and cancel was pressed to close the box.

Step 5
Immediately under [SCRIPT], type run=
Paste the copied Path hard against the typed run=

You have now completed the first start up item that will be loaded by scriptit.exe and each of the remaining items are entered by copying and using the same routine to find the path.

The observant will notice that after the path for AVG Control Centre, an additional line has been inserted underneath the Path. The reason for this, is that this application loads with a dialogue page that appears on screen, and in order to avoid having to select and press OK, each time this starts, I have added the line, AVG Control Center=OK. Now Scriptit is informed that in addition to loading this item, it also has to press OK for me. You don't have to tell me, I already know that I am very lazy!

Step 6
After entering the list of items that are required to be loaded all at once, Select save, I chose save as Scriptit.txt in Windows System.

Step 7
It is now necessary to place a new shortcut in Windows System, and to copy this new shortcut to the Desktop, where it can then be dragged down to the Taskbar. We now proceeds as follows,

In Windows System, Select File, New, Shortcut and type the following in the Command Line,

c:\windows\system\scriptit.exe c:\windows\system\scriptit.txt
note the single space between both shortcuts.

Press next and a new Scriptit.exe Shortcut will made in Windows System.

Step 8
Copy this new Scriptit.exe Shortcut from Windows System and paste it onto the Desktop, it now remains to drag this shortcut from the Desktop onto the Taskbar, where a mouse click will start all of the chose applications or processes at once, loading in consecutive order.

By selecting properties of this new Scriptit.exe shortcut, you can choose a new Icon is this is desired. To do this, right click on the new shortcut and select properties/change icon, then highlight the chosen Icon, press OK followed by apply and close.

A single mouse click on the Taskbar will now start all items at once.

;D

Old 02-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235
Default Re: How to Use Scriptit.exe

You know batch files can do this kinda of stuff tooo?