Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:27 PM
farfosh

Default dsl modem or dsl router

i have a network with 5 pcsconnecting them by switch
i want to have the dsl service but i dont which one to buy dsl modem or dsl router?
which is better for connecting multiple pcs and why?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Marine

your new at this aren't you? you can only connect multiple computers on a router.modem=1 rig.router=however many it says it can support.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:34 PM
The_Other_One

And you kinda also need the modem to connect to the internet, so you need this either way. The easiest thing to do is just buy a router which will connect the modem to the net without a computer, then distribute it to your other machines by a buit in switch/hub or by beging connected to your current switch.

You can also have one main computer act as a server, and find some internet sharing software. Depending on your modem, you may have to install two networking cards(one for the modem, one for the network) and you'll also have to configure everything for your network. All routers should set up your network automatically (or I havn't seen any that don't)
Old 04-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Marine

well i'll tell ya the set up i got. i got my modem hooked up to cable and i got a wire from my modem to the router then i plug all my computers into that router and wala up and runnning but i did have to config my router. all you gotta do is read the manual.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:33 AM
TheRogue

or get an ADSL router which has built in modem, even less work