Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-17-2003, 03:03 PM
james

Default XP dual boot fails

I've yet to switch to XP. This weekend, I finally decided that it was time to dual boot my win2k box with XP and test the waters more than I have already. However, after installing XP on a separate NTFS partition on my active drive, XP fails to boot entirely. It gets to the black XP boot screen with the bar at the bottom that continuously moves across and then eventually bluescreens with error code 0x0000007B, which is a invalid boot device error. I'm a bit confused, because the MBR at least seems to be working ok (it starts to boot XP) but then eventually fails. I have a couple ideas on how to fix this. But I want TWL input. thoughts?
Old 07-31-2003, 10:59 AM
nickc

Default Re: XP dual boot fails

I may be wrong but XP is an upgrade to Win2k - can it be dual booted or will it simply overwrite?

Nick
Old 07-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

Yea, i've never heard about anyone dual booting those two OSs.. Maybe the installation corrupted. Have you tried safe mode? I would try XP on a different drive and boot off the cd and install to the drive. XP can get on a power trip when you do weird stuff. My biggest issue with M$ is the power trip.
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 07-31-2003, 01:14 PM
james

lol, i forgot about this. It ended up being a corrupt promise driver (my HD was on an onboard promise controller). I got it working, but then switched it over to a regular IDE channel b/c i haven't gotten my linux install working with the promise controller (ok, i haven't tried THAT hard, but it's not easy either). So yeah, that problem is stopping a lot of my progress in linux, to say the least. (since ALL of my files are on the promise controller, except OS files).

"XP" is an upgrade to win2k in one sense or another, yes, but not in the sense that a service pack is an upgrade. They share lots of code etc, but not too many people would call them the same OS, (though they are both NT 5.x). There are plenty of people who dualboot w/ xp and 2k, promise, i'm one of them now...

it will overwrite if you install on the same partition (well, not necessarily, but basically it will unless you're good and do some directory switching, etc.) but not if you have it on a different partition.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Do you have it all set up now? I've come across a lot of bad RAID controllers and am starting to wonder if there are any truly good controllers.

Also, in practice you can get both XP and 2000 installed and even on the same partition. For a while I hadn't trusted XP because I was so used to having 2K on my box so I kept both and luckily I had 2K installed in the folder c:\win2k so I didn't run into any errors :-P
Old 08-07-2003, 12:59 AM
james

yea yea, it's all setup now. driver failure, not the controller problem. (and it's not raid, it's ata. i don't trust ide raid, at all. i tried it once and was getting massive skipping after about a month when i played my mp3's. .. not again)
Old 08-07-2003, 11:32 AM
eviltechie

the good ones are the expensive ones

bad ones and good ones have a big price tag difference from what i can tell

so strange...

btw both win2k and winxp are using NT5 core but they are different OS'es so no problems dual booting them
except hardware or driver in this case
Old 01-15-2004, 01:44 AM
gnogtr

I dual boot them. There is a problem though, if you install XP then 2k, you will end up with a corrupted XP. You must install 2k then XP. It took me 3 installs to figure out the problem.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

That doesn't happen to me, not sure what the problem would be.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

how do you even install 2k w/ xp?
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net