PDA

View Full Version : XP dual boot fails

james
05-17-2003, 03:03 PM
I've yet to switch to XP. This weekend, I finally decided that it was time to dual boot my win2k box with XP and test the waters more than I have already. However, after installing XP on a separate NTFS partition on my active drive, XP fails to boot entirely. It gets to the black XP boot screen with the bar at the bottom that continuously moves across and then eventually bluescreens with error code 0x0000007B, which is a invalid boot device error. I'm a bit confused, because the MBR at least seems to be working ok (it starts to boot XP) but then eventually fails. I have a couple ideas on how to fix this. But I want TWL input. thoughts?

nickc
07-31-2003, 10:59 AM
I may be wrong but XP is an upgrade to Win2k - can it be dual booted or will it simply overwrite?

Nick

Jason425
07-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Yea, i've never heard about anyone dual booting those two OSs.. Maybe the installation corrupted. Have you tried safe mode? I would try XP on a different drive and boot off the cd and install to the drive. XP can get on a power trip when you do weird stuff. My biggest issue with M$ is the power trip. :rolleyes:

james
07-31-2003, 01:14 PM
lol, i forgot about this. It ended up being a corrupt promise driver (my HD was on an onboard promise controller). I got it working, but then switched it over to a regular IDE channel b/c i haven't gotten my linux install working with the promise controller (ok, i haven't tried THAT hard, but it's not easy either). So yeah, that problem is stopping a lot of my progress in linux, to say the least. (since ALL of my files are on the promise controller, except OS files).

"XP" is an upgrade to win2k in one sense or another, yes, but not in the sense that a service pack is an upgrade. They share lots of code etc, but not too many people would call them the same OS, (though they are both NT 5.x). There are plenty of people who dualboot w/ xp and 2k, promise, i'm one of them now...

it will overwrite if you install on the same partition (well, not necessarily, but basically it will unless you're good and do some directory switching, etc.) but not if you have it on a different partition.

vee_ess
08-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Do you have it all set up now? I've come across a lot of bad RAID controllers and am starting to wonder if there are any truly good controllers.

Also, in practice you can get both XP and 2000 installed and even on the same partition. For a while I hadn't trusted XP because I was so used to having 2K on my box so I kept both and luckily I had 2K installed in the folder c:\win2k so I didn't run into any errors :-P

james
08-07-2003, 12:59 AM
yea yea, it's all setup now. driver failure, not the controller problem. (and it's not raid, it's ata. i don't trust ide raid, at all. i tried it once and was getting massive skipping after about a month when i played my mp3's. .. not again)

eviltechie
08-07-2003, 11:32 AM
the good ones are the expensive ones

bad ones and good ones have a big price tag difference from what i can tell

so strange...

btw both win2k and winxp are using NT5 core but they are different OS'es so no problems dual booting them
except hardware or driver in this case

gnogtr
01-15-2004, 12:44 AM
I dual boot them. There is a problem though, if you install XP then 2k, you will end up with a corrupted XP. You must install 2k then XP. It took me 3 installs to figure out the problem.

vee_ess
01-15-2004, 12:47 AM
That doesn't happen to me, not sure what the problem would be.

Jason425
01-15-2004, 04:59 PM
how do you even install 2k w/ xp?

StinkyMojo
01-15-2004, 05:16 PM
dual boot man... you can install each os on a separate partition... thats how you can dual boot between linux and winxp also..

Jason425
01-15-2004, 06:05 PM
with xp installed.. 2k can't be.. at least from windows.. when you have stupid school versions of 2k.. i've dual booted.. i know.. 2k+xp = :(

vee_ess
01-15-2004, 10:21 PM
You can't start the Windows 2000 installation from Windows XP, because XP thinks you are replacing it with a previous OS, which won't let you do. Just boot from the Windows 2000 CD and you can start the installation fine. Make sure you either install it to another drive or partition, or even just a new system root. What I mean by that, is that to install to the same partition on the same drive, you must have a new Windows folder. Generally I use win** for each OS if I choose to do that; for example I'll have system roots of C:\WIN2K and C:\WIN98 for Windows 2000 and Windows 98 respectively. So far, when I have done this, I haven't had any problems. The important folders and folder groups are named differently as the OS installation will detect that they are already there and must create new names for the folders. If something were to happen you can always go to the registry real quick and just change the directory paths.

Jason425
01-16-2004, 05:00 PM
yea but my school gives out ms software like candy.. but it's not the real thing.. it's just install files.. not osi's.. not bootable.. and since 2k isn't worth the effort.. i've never had a 2k machine..

vee_ess
01-17-2004, 09:57 AM
2000 is definately worth the effort; make a boot disk for it, or burn the CD's you get from school again, but make it bootable and throw on the files you'll need to start setup.

StinkyMojo
01-20-2004, 09:17 AM
yea but my school gives out ms software like candy.. but it's not the real thing.. it's just install files.. not osi's.. not bootable.. and since 2k isn't worth the effort.. i've never had a 2k machine..

They actually are bootable.. I have about 4 from the school not one is not.

Jason425
01-20-2004, 05:12 PM
uh yea ok dunno what you're talking about.. the cd consists of 3 folders.. with a different OS in each folder... The cd isn't an iso and there is no boot.ini or whatever.. so tell me .. what does the cd boot into? Does it just guess? :shake:

davil
02-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Either way, dual booting is easy. Unless you don't have a 98 boot disk, in which case you're making your own life a misery. I have successfully dual booted 98,2k + xp, and I'm pretty sure I can dual boot all other Microsoft OSes with ranish partition manager (just hiding the other partitions so the man don't know what's happening :p ) and Extended Operating System Loader.

for 98,2k and xp you don't need Xosl or ranish, all you need is the Operating systems and at least one dos / 98 bootdisk with cd rom support on it. From that you can install 2k first in your case and then install Xp and make sure you pick clean installation. also there some advanced options which you can do like a tick for picking exactly which partition you want to put the OS on. the only thing you must remember is that you have to start with 2k and then to xp. it works like this 98->2k->xp.

If you want any help you can contact me via email on pojomcbooty@hotmail.com

StinkyMojo
02-05-2004, 11:21 AM
so tell me .. what does the cd boot into? Does it just guess? :shake:

No, you have to specify which folder to boot from... there is an OS in this world called DOS.. and it was made by microsoft. Well you use it and open up a folder and boot from it. You want me to tell you now how to install an OS? :rolleyes:

Jason425
02-05-2004, 11:31 AM
i don't use dos.. in fact I don't have dos.. IN FACT i don't even need dos.. because good os's like xp can boot off the cd :/

vee_ess
02-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes, but you can get so much more control from a DOS boot disk!

james
02-06-2004, 11:22 AM
i like g/k-noppix, much more powerful than a simple boot disk

Jason425
02-06-2004, 11:30 AM
yea dos is fun sometimes.. but i'd rather just slap the cd in and get her goin. floppy drives should be banned 8)

StinkyMojo
02-06-2004, 02:41 PM
floppy drives out, usb key drives in

Jason425
02-06-2004, 05:03 PM
that'd be nice