Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hot Deals

Old 06-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default GameCube $90 (refurbished)

Compgeeks has refurbished Nintendo GameCubes for $89.95 and has a 180 day warranty. Link
Old 06-04-2003, 06:01 PM

Bleh. The gamecube was intended for 8-14 year olds. They don't really make any good games other than the Zelda Windwalker. If youre going to get any good gaming console. Grab a PS2. Get Gran Turismo III and see why the PS2 has way better graphics then the gamecube. Then again, people might like the pretty purple covering...
Old 06-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

zelda windmaker you mean

and no kidding

i got bored of GC this year and switched to xbox
Old 06-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Mad Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK3
Bleh. The gamecube was intended for 8-14 year olds. They don't really make any good games other than the Zelda Windwalker.
I am a 17 year old gamer that has been playing games since the NES. I've bought every Nintendo system since then because of the unforgettable experiences with Mario, Metroid, and so forth. I'm going to have to totally disagree with you. Gamecube is right behind PS2 in the game department and is in lead of X-Box. For the most part, X-Box sucks(In games, not hardware, mind you!). It's only good first-party games are Halo (Made by Microsoft owned Bungie) and possibly Mechassault. The whole system relies solely on 3rd paty developers, and most of it's games are on other systems. Also I'd like to point out that Halo does get boring fast without others to play with.

On another note, do you really think Nintendo releasing the Resident Evil franchise exclusively for the Gamecube is directed to "8-14" year olds? Also note that the upcoming Resident Evil 4 will be a gamecube-exclusive title. I bought an X-box then returned it and got a Cube because I knew that Nintendo would shine in both 1st party and 3rd party games. Metroid Prime is not for kids, and it is very comparible to Halo. Wind Waker is amazing despite cel-shading, Starfox Adventures is another great one from RARE(which the greedy microsoft bought), Mario Sunshine brings back old memories, Super Smash Bros great fighting game, Eternal Darkness scares the crap outta you; you get my point, I can keep going on and on as these are just great first party games, though I admit a small percentage but not all games are for children. Upcoming games like Resident Evil 4, F-Zero GC(will also be a AC arcade version), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Metroid Prime 2 to name a few are all Gamecube exclusives. Most of the 3rd party games are also released on the other systems so thats not a problem. And about the graphics... It is pretty much known if you are a gamer that the gamecube has surpassed ps2 with graphics but of course, not the x-box. Note also that ATI, leader of graphics at this point, made the graphics chip for the gamcube as well as its successor coming out in 2005. I want you to play Metroid Prime and tell me what you think of the graphics compared to the best looking game on ps2.

There are other colors other than purple including Spice(orange), Black, and Platinum, you know. Also Many games (such as Splinter Cell, and the upcoming Final Fantasy game to name a very few) utilize GBA conectivity which is very fun in part. I dont mind people saying that overall there are more better games on ps2 because it is true, though I dislike the opinions that GameCube are for children and especially saying that the games just suck. X-Box is a great system, but most of its games other than a select few are on the other systems. Nintendo is in fact the only company to use proprietary small 1.5 gb discs for piracy reasons, which sony and microsoft aren't since you can burn all their games .

As for the deal, it is just OK because in a matter of weeks, You can buy a new Gamecube package for $150 that includes the system(duh) a controller(duh again), a Gameboy Player which lets you play any game released for GB,GB Color, and GBA on your Gamecube with even multi-player link compatability, and finally a Bonus Disc that retails for $10 that includes the latest demos such as Splinter Cell.

Damn this turned out to be an essay, anywayz just my 2 cents...

Asus A8N SLI - Opteron 148 @ 2.8 under a Zalman 7000cu LED - XFX 7800GT oc'd - 1gb Kingston Hyper X pc3000 BH5 2-2-2 - OCZ ModStream 450watt - WD 36gb Raptor - WD 320gb Storage Drive - Antec Super LanBoy - NEC 3550A 16x DVD Burner
Accessories:
ViewSonic VA1912wb 19" 8ms Widescreen - Plantronics Audio 90 - Logitech Z-640 5.1 - Razer Diamondback Plasma LE on a Ratpadz GS
Linux Box:
Pending..
Old 06-05-2003, 04:19 PM

Well put response StinkyMojo. It's nice to see that there is some console gamers out there. I'll have to say...there is no comparison as to who has lead the gaming industry in the past 2 decades. Nintendo soley owns that privelage by a long shot. I was just stating that in the beginging, when GameCube first came out...it did not come with the type or varitety of games intended for the older age group. It was later on, a little before the dreamcast was discontinued that the GameCube decided to come out with the real games, only to keep up with it's major competitor PlayStation 2. The Resident Evil series started on the Playstation platform...we all know that. The Final Fantasy Trillogies were also on the Playstation platforms for the longest time as well. Both of the games are still being made into production for the PS2. As for the colors of the Gamecube. I think, personal opinion, that it is more of an audience attraction...something the makers of PS2 knew they didn't need. Sales prove that the PS2 is the leader in selling their consoles...and will continue for a long time to come. 2005 will be the real year where the gameconsole industry will be changed forever. Then we will see the real competition...and trust me, it is going to be one hell of a competition. It is all a matter of opinion on graphics, gaming quality, and performance. The setback to PS2 is that the loading for games takes so damn long, but the wait is well worth it. Xbox in the beginging was way overpriced, but seems to be a worthy contender for 2005...leading most likely in performance. Ill have to read way more reviews however to fully comprehend the next couple years of gaming and the advantages that it will bring. To me, the only reason I think PS2 dominates is soley because that is what I have picked for my gaming console for the last 7 years. The variety of games and performance advantages, graphic quality as well as it coming from the very heritage of the leading electronic company in the world...proves that it is my gaming console that I will stick with. Soley opinion and some fact is what I base this paragraph on. Its good to keep discussion of gaming consoles on a computer forum, only proves that they can be deemed worthy of good competition with today's computers. Yet we all know any good computer will waste all the consoles unfortunately. But some day...that just might change. Now I have total the financial value of this thread to 4 cents...
Old 06-05-2003, 07:45 PM
Mad Techie

Quote:
Yet we all know any good computer will waste all the consoles unfortunately.
word... speaking of which have you seen the huge vid of HL2? Jeez, talk about graphics....

Asus A8N SLI - Opteron 148 @ 2.8 under a Zalman 7000cu LED - XFX 7800GT oc'd - 1gb Kingston Hyper X pc3000 BH5 2-2-2 - OCZ ModStream 450watt - WD 36gb Raptor - WD 320gb Storage Drive - Antec Super LanBoy - NEC 3550A 16x DVD Burner
Accessories:
ViewSonic VA1912wb 19" 8ms Widescreen - Plantronics Audio 90 - Logitech Z-640 5.1 - Razer Diamondback Plasma LE on a Ratpadz GS
Linux Box:
Pending..
Old 06-05-2003, 07:53 PM

Wait, umm comparing a Cube or X-box to SP2 graphics isn't a very good comparison. I have both PS2, gamecube and a X-box overall the GameCube and X-Box have outstanding graphics, even if you would comapre the SP2's movie cinematics (which are very decent) to a X-box's you'd get somewhat of a similarity there but gameplay graphics are horrid on a Playstaion2. As for that little bit about GameCube being for 8-14year olds is a little absurd, yes they do have alot of childish games but that's to appeal to the audience that Nintendo has attracted throughout the years, there not ment for children but for everyone to play, much like Mojo said, there's a bunch of games not for children players also (RE series).

Mabye the GameCube hasn't caught up to the PS2 but it would if they were backed by a long line of great sequals that the original Sony PS had ( FinalFantasay ), Nintendo had alot of great sequals, yes, but todays market is targeting (and was before) RPG's which we all know that PS2 ownes that type so the GC can't quite compare with the games I'd say their doing quite well with the GameBoy addition and other accessories.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:09 AM

Am I just stupid...or very confused. What is a SP2? And just word to the wise...FF trilogies was only a minor contributor to the world wide popularity of the PlayStation 2. It's come a long way. Just like the GameCube and XboX will, eventually. Let's just hope non of these consoles pull a Dreamcast...heh. One setback that I really don't like on the GameCube is the controller. I tryed playing SSX Tricky...and kept hitting the Y button, so conviniently placed right by the button to jump...and Y resets you. And XboX...there's just to many damn buttons on there. But to compare all gaming consoles, you would have to be full of opinion...that wich we are all full of being on these boards...heh.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Gambitx162

Quote:
It was later on, a little before the dreamcast was discontinued that the GameCube decided to come out with the real games, only to keep up with it's major competitor PlayStation 2. The Resident Evil series started on the Playstation platform...we all know that. The Final Fantasy Trillogies were also on the Playstation platforms for the longest time as well.
I just want to point out that although the RE series was started on Playstation, Resident Evil 0, my favorite and one of the best, was originally developed for Nintendo 64. Also, you said Final Fantasy was on Plasystation for the longest?!?! The first two were for the NES and III through VI were on the SNES. The only reason that Square has been Sony exclusive is because Nintendo cancelled the SNES CD drive when Square was already develloping games for it. Without Nintendo, Final Fantasy would never exist. Also the best Square RPGs are for Nintendo systems. These games include Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, FF V, Front Mission, etc. Also Final Fantasy V was going to be released on N64 but the project never finished. I think the Cube has a good chance at winning this console war. They were the first and I'm sure they'll be the last.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

You're right that they may have started out on Nintendo, but they were on PS for a longer time, which is what he stated.