Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 03-12-2002, 12:44 PM
coffejor

Default Website copycats

While browsing through various tech sites I came accross one person's site that poses a striking resemblence to both Netsmog and Hardware Pub. Am I the only one that see's the resemblence, or do we have some blatent rip-offs of our beloved sites?

http://www.gyrotweak.com
http://www.gyrotweak.com/forum/

-Jordan Coffey-
Old 03-12-2002, 05:03 PM
Simo

Default Re: Website copycats

I feel violated...

WE WERE HERE FIRST!!!!

Im sure the hardware pub peeps wont be happy either..
Old 03-12-2002, 05:04 PM
Simo

Interestingly there board has about the same number of posts that Netsmog had when I joined.....a loooooooooong time ago..
Old 03-12-2002, 05:44 PM
Chef

Gm, well, OK, I've got new forum on my site too, so what. I loved the yabb board, so also installed fresh script.
=p
wow, they've got now 31 users online and political board too ! (I think l'll hang around there

Cheers for gyro
Chef

Old 03-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Aoshi

they have their own right to do that, true this was here first, but oh well.  I'm sure there was a tech forum site out there before netsmog.  we jsut gotta show them who is boss  
Old 03-12-2002, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Don't be mislead by their counter, its shows how many people were online in that past hour or so, not exactly right now.  Ours shows how many people are online at this exact moment....
keefe
Old 03-12-2002, 10:22 PM
jinx

Why would anyone worry about colors ?  Lots of other forums have these similar colors and I know for a fact they were there before Netsmog went to it's present color scheme.
Amazingtechs and Asendtechnologies had these colors long ago. Plus the option to change the colors the way you want them.
Netsmogs present colors are popular across the net and IT could have copied others! Imagine that !, not that I am saying it did, but 'copying' is a 2-way street you know.
Something for you to think about.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:46 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

When you run a PHP driven site, take a look around almost all of them have the same layout. Pert near all of em look the same, just different colors and graphics. But the basic layout of three colums with logins, articles yada yada.

Hey when you install a package deal you get that, a package deal and well it's kinda hard to be all too different from everyone else.

Design your own and hey it's your own. You'll find most webmasters that design and maintain several sites after awhile you can pretty much tell what sites they have designed because of the similarities.

If they use your material that is copyrighted then you have an issue, other than that well hey this site or that site looks cool I like the layout I think I'll use it too.

Why snivel about look alikes etc. How many sites are out there that look alike? In fact how many red cars did I see this morning on the way to the office? 20 or 30? Are they copycats? No they like the color red as many people do.

I myself have only seen a very few YaBB forums that are truely unique in layout, look and feel. What can you do? Design your own if that's what you want, use a package except the fact that everyone else will be using it too.

Laters
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 03-13-2002, 07:51 PM
Aoshi

ouch once again jordan gets shut down