Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:12 PM
FTPSlave

Default My ftp server..

I'm running Cerberus ftp server on my XP Professional box, and when I try to connect, everything goes down fine until I use the DIR command. Then it tries to LIST, and then reports that it's unable to open the data connection.

Like I said, i'm running XP Professional and the Cerberus ftp server. I also have a Linksys router as my default gateway onto the internet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:33 PM
james

we need a more detail. "everything goes well" does not qualify. Explain exactly what you can accomplish and what fails. Explain how you are connecting to the box and where are you connecting from etc. with this, we should be able to give you help
Old 08-07-2003, 02:07 PM
FTPSlave

Ok.. sorry.

When I use the FTP command to connect to my server from the command prompt (I'm connecting from the box that the server is located on, but it needs to be able to connect from anywhere), it brings up the MOTD banner and the login prompt. It accept the username and password I set in the server, and brings me to the ftp> prompt. If I type DIR at the ftp> prompt, it says "200 Port command received," sits there for about 10 seconds, and then says "425 Unable to open the data connection."

If I go over to see what the server is doing, it reports an incoming request from the IP of the server (the LAN IP, not the WAN IP). Then it reports that the request was accepted by my router (the LAN network address). Then there are the USER and PASS commands that match the login info I used. Then it says "PORT 192, 168, 1, 1, 15, 192." My router's IP is 192.168.1.1, so I'm assuming that is the first four numbers. The last two seem arbitrary. After the PORT command, it tries a LIST command, which fails, saying "The attempt to connect timed out without establishing..."

So I can connect to the FTP server, but I'm unable to see what's on it.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

go into passive mode on your client
Old 08-07-2003, 04:55 PM
FTPSlave

I'm not sure how to do that with command line FTP, but I tried it with WS_FTP and still no connection.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

damn, BTW refrence, to enter passive in command-line it's

quot pasv
Old 08-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Olavur

I have a similar problem to FTPSlave, and it is not solved by turning on passive mode.

When I turn passive mode on - either in WS_FTP LE or in Windows FTP, the answer is "421 Unable to create socket to listen on".

However, it should be mentioned that I use port 2021 for the connection, and that the ftp CLIENT is behind a proxy. It all works find when the ftp client is not behind a proxy. The Linksys router is set to accept the 2021 port and route any traffic to the appropriate computer. When I use the standard port 21, there is no problem, even if the client is behind a proxy.

The proxy (in front of the ftp client) has no filter on port 2021, and it works to log in to the ftp server, get the current directory, change directory, but not to LIST or change to passive mode.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:09 PM
xMerCLorDx

you sure its 2021 and not port 20 and port 21? because port 20 and 21 are both used seperately..but also higher ( public ) socket numbers are used with most ftp server software..
Old 08-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Olavur

Yes, it is port 2021 (not 20 and 21).
Old 11-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Jim H

I'm having same problem. Running Win XP Pro. Command line reports invalid command if I issue "quot pasv" command. Any ideas?