Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 08-27-2003, 09:55 AM
broadway06405

Default Behind a Firewall/ AIM file transfer

If anyone is familiar with AOL Instant Messenger...
I've been trying to send files thru the file transfer section, but every time my friends and I try to make a connection, it gives a message stating that I am behind a Firewall. I have checked my Network settings and the firewall wasn't even enabled. I'm thinking that there is a firewall in LINKSYS. If there is, how do I change the settings or disable it?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

the only way that i know to disable it to allow file transfers is to enable DMZ.. you might be able to enable the aim port but i dont know much about that..
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 08-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

If you're behind a "router" (which I'm 90% sure the Linksys to which you referred is), then yes, you're essentially behind a firewall. You can theoretically enable file transfer functionality in AIM by forwarding TCP and UDP port 5190 to your computer's LAN IP address. Additionally, puting your computer into the DMZ would also accomplish this, but that's kind of like using a bomb to kill a mosquito (overkill).

Another thing I feel I should mention, is that AIM file transfer is notoriously bad. To have the best chance of it working, make sure both you and the person with whom you're attempting to transfer files have the newest version of AIM. The 5.2.xxxx versions seem to have much better functionality (but only with the same version).