PDA

View Full Version : ** Hacking **

Keefe
09-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Do not ask how to hack!

Prometheus
09-06-2003, 12:39 AM
What about asking for educational purposes?

IE the guy who was asking around about hacking his netwrok as an assignment, or my recent question about my wireless net? Id get extra cred if i did that

Dragon
04-23-2004, 10:59 AM
..um, just a general question... what constitues hacking, as a standard?

Prometheus
04-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Breaking and entering into a system without permission

Breaking computer conduct rules

Jason425
04-23-2004, 06:14 PM
by that definition pro you should be in jail for life... hell.. everyone "breaks computer conduct rules.."

Prometheus
04-23-2004, 07:02 PM
in the sense of schools.....

Dragon
05-17-2004, 07:51 AM
thats illegal? you gotta be kidding me!

Prometheus
05-17-2004, 09:56 AM
besides....

I already had permission to be on the network

Dragon
06-08-2004, 08:29 AM
maybe we should duplicate this thread and make'em all sticky cuz uh... i dont think people are reading it

Prometheus
06-08-2004, 12:04 PM
I think we need to make a list of rules to read before you register...

xMerCLorDx
06-08-2004, 06:28 PM
and a quiz instead of an 'agree' button ;D

MIK3
06-29-2004, 05:50 AM
There we go....this way everyone gets annoyed with the site even before they can post...thick quinking.

Prometheus
06-30-2004, 01:19 AM
or a global READ BEFORE YOU POST list

Jason425
06-30-2004, 02:20 AM
do you think that kind of person would read that thread anyway? I doubt it..

oh, and is it illegal or something do have hacking or the like be an allowed topic of discussion? I'm just curious why everyone is so gung-ho about shushing everyone about it.. there is an educational side to it too.. just wondering why we have that policy

xMerCLorDx
06-30-2004, 03:12 AM
There we go....this way everyone gets annoyed with the site even before they can post...thick quinking.

shut the fuck up or propose a better solution.

Prometheus
06-30-2004, 03:48 AM
Jason that is the goverments way of scaring people.............we can talk about it all we want...hell I can tell ( i dont know how to) someone how to hack into the CIA or NSA or something and use oh you need to get past A fire wall...note the A instead of the CIA firewall..........topics matter

any who......1st amendment.........they cant lock me up for teaching someone something.........

xMerCLorDx
06-30-2004, 04:18 AM
that firewall thing was lame pro.

but yeah anyone can learn about it, doing it is a different story.

and if you're doing this to the cia there is something wrong with you.

Jason425
06-30-2004, 11:10 AM
nobody answered my question.. is it the administration of TWL (and most other forums) that is against the discussion of hacking, or is there some legal threat to the owners of groups that discuss hacking (nowadays you could call those "places that harbor terrorism") :/

Prometheus
06-30-2004, 11:16 AM
because it gets them in trouble from their hosting

xMerCLorDx
06-30-2004, 03:01 PM
no it doesn't. that's bull.

vee_ess
06-30-2004, 03:55 PM
It's both; I pretty sure those in charge do not want to encourage and they do not want any legal issues to come up (and don't get into a dispute with me about this), but it's not our decision to make or question.

xMerCLorDx
06-30-2004, 04:14 PM
not on this forum it's not our decision, but there is nothing illegal about talking about the subject or spreading knowledge in any way about it. the only thing that's illegal are the actions made. if it were there would be countless gigantic sites shut down.

james
06-30-2004, 11:42 PM
it may not be a question of legality at all. I myself was not involved in this, but I think a large part of the decision was a matter of ethics. TWL, as a member of the internet community, has a responsibility to keep the internet a safe place. Teaching people to hack does not do this. Especially on a forum environment, where only little bits of info are availble here and there, this would simply tell people who don't really know what they are doing how to do some damage. This is how "script-kiddies" are probably created. I myself don't want TWL giving information out on how to setup a DDoS attack or anything like that. It doesn't promote safety and it isn't educational. The reason its not a freedom of speech argument is because we are not the government and the 1st amendment really only applies to the government (read it sometime).

note: this is not official TWL policy, but just my individual viewpoint on where those who made this policy might be coming from and why they might be justified

Jason425
07-01-2004, 12:31 AM
oh.. then what is official TWL policy?

MIK3
07-01-2004, 01:57 AM
not on this forum it's not our decision, but there is nothing illegal about talking about the subject or spreading knowledge in any way about it. the only thing that's illegal are the actions made. if it were there would be countless gigantic sites shut down.

For some reason you seem like the only person to dispute the fact that "hack-talk" in forums is an ok thing. If you honestly want to give pointers and aid to a hacker on a forum 1.) You could be endangering the very forum you're informer the hacker on 2.) You're only contributing to the danger 3.) What's the point? Educational or not, hacking is hacking. And when it's put to use, bad things can arise. Ok, there's good hacking and all, but being that there is more notorious hacking vs. beneficial hacking, hacking in general is a know to the common public as being a bad choice, and I believe that it shouldn't be discussed with in forums if it is known as being more notorious rather than beneficially legal. If the admins what no more Hack Talk, let's give it to them and be courteous of what they have to say. After all, they do run the site . . .

Jason425
07-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Situations:
A: some kid is curious and asks about hacking, someone shuns him away, he gets pissed, finds that info somewhere else (this is the internet..) and wipes out the site that wouldn't help him
B: same kid comes and asks, someone that has been there done that says some things, everyone is happy..

besides, of course it's "bad" and it's illegal, so if you do it, you go to jail.. that should be deterence enough, but shouldn't limit the innocent oerson's opportunity to learn

xMerCLorDx
07-01-2004, 02:15 AM
For some reason you seem like the only person to dispute the fact that "hack-talk" in forums is an ok thing. If you honestly want to give pointers and aid to a hacker on a forum
1.) You could be endangering the very forum you're informer the hacker on 2.) You're only contributing to the danger
3.) What's the point? Educational or not, hacking is hacking. And when it's put to use, bad things can arise. Ok, there's good hacking and all, but being that there is more notorious hacking vs. beneficial hacking, hacking in general is a know to the common public as being a bad choice, and I believe that it shouldn't be discussed with in forums if it is known as being more notorious rather than beneficially legal. If the admins what no more Hack Talk, let's give it to them and be courteous of what they have to say. After all, they do run the site . . .

you don't know what you're talking about. you didn't even comprehend my comment and you're assuming i'm saying something i'm not.

i wasn't arguing at all that it should be allowed here, in fact i pointed out the contrary. your reply astounds me. i feel like the conversation just went 20 feet under.

MIK3
07-01-2004, 02:38 AM
Situations:
A: some kid is curious and asks about hacking, someone shuns him away, he gets pissed, finds that info somewhere else (this is the internet..) and wipes out the site that wouldn't help him
B: same kid comes and asks, someone that has been there done that says some things, everyone is happy..

besides, of course it's "bad" and it's illegal, so if you do it, you go to jail.. that should be deterence enough, but shouldn't limit the innocent oerson's opportunity to learn

True. A person's opportunity to learn shoudln't be limited. I agree with you in whole on that one Jason. But also take into consideration the percent chance of that person coming back and actually attacking our site. We know no one here would shun him off in a manner to make him mad. We'd handle it properly and notify him of our proposition on informing members on how to hack is wrong, and hopefully he'd abide to that in a mature manner. The percent chance of the guy getting mad at us turning him down and hacking us as retality would probably be the same chance as us giving him some pointers as mentioned in your B situation, and him coming back at us, (of course with us not knowing he had already wanted to hack us from the start)...

This is all just my take on the whole situation...we all are entitled to our own opinions, and I shouldn't of singled out Merc in that case. It was wrong and childish.

xMerCLorDx
07-01-2004, 02:41 AM
that's not the case either, i'm just pointing out that i wasn't saying what you think i was.

MIK3
07-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Alright then.

Dragon
10-12-2004, 12:46 PM
thick quinking

ROTFLMAO!

of course i will not refrain from adding my input as usual; i dont think anyone and everyone should go around discussing hacking, but i have to say that any who is seriously going to hack something is not likely going to be lokkig for help. i mean its not the easiest thing in the world to do. you have to be fluent in programming languages, firewall types, network types, access methods, general networking, scripting, i mean there is alot of knowledge that goes into hacking. the simple assumption that any small amount of advice given out in a post or thread could facilitate some large scale act of vandalism or any act of crime is sort of well... dumb.

however there is of course that line, but who knows where it is? i dont think we should be telling people how to wardrive and whatnot, but i think someone with a large enough knowledge base to hack and do some damage, is probably smart enough not to do it. There was of course the library of congress. i mean, look at HL2 source. that guy hardly hacked, he used keyloggers and a known security bug in outlook. which brings up a point, i do agree things like the outlook bug should not be discussed, because people can do some damage with that without a knowing a ton.

i agree somethings shouldn't be discussed, but how many people on techware caould actually tell someone how to do some real damage? i know there are a few, but ive never heard any of them give out info. and hell, ive asked some relatively controversial questions in the past myself.

i do have to admit tho, and ill venture to say pro will agree with me, it is fun trying to get around school censoring and security measures. >:)

Jason425
10-12-2004, 03:11 PM
I think that wardriving should be legal.. it'll get these noobs to secure their networks.. and if they don't.. i'll just keep using em.. 8)

MrIncoming
03-31-2005, 07:18 PM
Eh... wardriving?

Anyway, How can I learn to hack? :rofl: :devil: :biggrin: ;) :wavey:

Jason425
03-31-2005, 08:52 PM
n1 mr. antangonist

Napster
07-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Most of the new people on this forum want to hack programs like AIM and other Email clients to know stuff about stalkers, or be the stalker themselves. Countless cases of people asking for flaws in the system just to spy on friends or feel the "rush" of excitement reading their gf's email.

If you want to do some serious damage extensive programming knowledge and network knowledge is required. Most people want a quick fix to their problems. They'll be spending months trying to figure out how to hack their gf's yahoo account and by that time she probably will have dumped them anyways.

My suggestions: Learn Comp Sci. and take an ethics class.