Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 10-01-2003, 01:48 PM
hebert

Default router and dsl modem Problem! HELP!!!!

ok here is my problem. i have a one port Linksys router hook to my dsl modem. The problem im haveing is that i get disconnected every 2 min then reconnect. my pings go from 70 to 20,000. So i updated the firmware to the latest ver. Now its every min. When i take the router out and hook my computer to the modem everything is fine, no disconnect or reconnect. So i thought it might be the modem. A friend told me that SWB told him to put the modem away from and power outlets. So i put it on the floor. it still does it. Now i went with a different router, a net gear. it does the same thing. When i boot up i get on the net just fine. Then it starts again. Now with the new router its every min. Chould it be the modem doing that? Or maybe the SWB people upgraded some thing and thats what is causing it. Or chould it be a setting in the router. It seems I'm left with putting 2 network cards in a computer and using it that way. I would like to keep my network up with the routers instead of using the computer as a router. Any ideas. This is really fustrating.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:51 AM
awrobinsonii

Default Router issue

Well you stated that you were able to successfully connect to the internet without have the router hooked up, and having the modem directly connected to your system. Then it is your router settings. Double check your router settings or contact your router manufacturer. Sounds like a timeout issue. Are you running DHCP or Static?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:04 AM
hebert

thanks for your help. I did find the problem. I looked in my task manager and found "msblast.exe". that is what was cause ing the connection problem. I ran a scan and my virus progam did not find it right away. i also ran adware 6.0. it four 400 bad entries and the worm. the virus program took care of it. i now run the adware evey day when i get on. Plus my virus program did not have the enable file proctection on all the time. it does now. Well hope this helps some one else with a simular problem.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:02 AM
awrobinsonii

Yeah that virus sucks major A@@! Make sure you go to www.symantec.com they have a nice fix/remover tool for that blaster and get all you MS Windows Updates install asap. Good luck.