Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:06 PM
wezley

Default How to get my TV out working?

:'( Can anyone help who knows how to set a link between my laptop and my tv, i have all the cables and scart sockets but it still won't work.The connection on the laptop is a normal yellow coloured video out female socket.

PLEASE HELP AS I WANT TO WATCH DVD'S ON MY TV!!!!!!!!

Thank you...
Old 04-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Re: How to get my TV out working?

I don't think you need scart cable's (I'm not to familiar with them).  For my Dell laptop all I needed was an S-Video cable for picture, or a standard RCA cable and it was a yellow female connection.  But that only gets the video over.  Most electronics stores carry a headphone connector to RCA sound cables and splits them into left and right so you have your red an white.  That would give you your standard 3 plugs for video two for sound (red, white, for left, right, check the back of the TV those may be reversed but as long as you follow the color coding you will get it right, and the yellow will carry your video signal).  Then you'll need to tell the laptop to use the new display.  Right click on your desktop go to properties, settings, and then advanced.  You'll have to find it in there because most video cards have a unique layout here.  Good Luck
Old 04-23-2002, 10:13 PM
Aoshi

i'm not sure if this pertains to hooking up a tv, but on projector etc., when you hook those up you need to change the output by holding the functionkey and then pressing what looks like two monitors, (should be located in the numbers)
Old 04-24-2002, 07:40 AM
Propig

I just went through this when connecting up my whole entertainment center. Look at the connection on the back of your tv. What does it say? Something link cable in, s-video, input 1, input 2?

If you are connecting through input 1 or 2 then you will need to make sure your tv is set to that also. My remote has a button called input. I just press the button until the image shows up on the tv.

Let me tell you. If I can connect the cable, a VCR, a DVD, a sound system, a playstation and a TV together -- I can do anything!
Old 04-24-2002, 03:06 PM
The_Other_One

OK, here's how it works. If your laptop has TV OUT, you most likely must enable it.  Check around display proporties > Settings > Advanced.  You also may run into a problem about resolutions.  My older GF2 card only could output up to 800x600, but I don't reccomend that high.  If you want decent quality, 720x480 or 640x480 looks the best.  Now, if you can independently set the resolution for the TV differently, then I'd recommend setting it as low as it will go.  The reason is most TV's only go up to about 720x480.  Anything higher will have many lines taken out.

A bit about hooking it up.  Default is Yellow for video, White for left audio, and Red for right audio.  If you run mono, your suppost to use white/left.  It's more of just a standard that was set, but it works in the right channel of course.  However, some TV/VCR's will play through both channels mono when only the left is connected...
S video is the little connector(about the size of the PS/2 or keyboard connector.)  It had pins.  I forgot exactly what each was for, but it's basically like color, picture, etc.  If your computer only has an S video connector, then you need a converter.