Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default General Laws of Physics

At work today we got a huge air tight metal box for a server to go into.  We also received an air conditioning unit to go inside of the box.  The air conditioner is not vented outside the box, so no air can escape at all.  How is this going to keep the servers cool?  From general laws of physics I thought that if the entire unit is self contained the temperature will not drop.  Actually, wouldn't it heat up from the heat given off from the server and the compressor in the air conditioner?  If anyone has any ideas let me know...we have a little argument going at work...

Thanks
keefe
Old 04-23-2002, 09:40 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Re: General Laws of Physics

Yhea that's kinda the way I see it.  Now one way to make it work would be to take the AC unit and route the condenser (the AC's radiator like unit) on the outside with fans.  Just like on a refrigirator.  I mean even they have it mounted on the back.  And yes the temprature would just keep goin' up till somethin' blew.  Eventually something would give out from the temp.  By the way was this a marketing decision??
Old 04-23-2002, 10:17 PM
Aoshi

i dont htink the temp would just keep going up if the air conditioner is running as well.  It is stupid not to have any type of curculation going through it though.  It would make it harder for the air conditioner to first cool the air before it regurgitates it back out.  It would be best to have the air conditoiner in the front of the box and have fans in fornt and in back so that the air comming in would get cooled right away and cool the system then the hot air would leave.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Savage:  No, sorry it was not a marketing decision.  It actually was a decision by the owner of the company.  All I know is that I will be laughing when the server melts...
Old 04-23-2002, 10:32 PM
Aoshi

it wont melt keefe, like i said before, the air conditioning unit will cool the air, but it wont cool it effectly.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Aoshi- the whole thing is enclosed.

Even in your house your AC unit needs to be part outside.  if you put the whole thing in the middle of the house it will actually heat up your house. Because of moving parts + friction = heat.  You have to have outside air involved at some point or your temp will skyrocket.  Like I said above even your refrigirator which is a sealed box has to have the condensor on the back.  In fact on some allmost the whole back is covered with tubes and cooling fins.  If you stuffed all that stuff inside you'ld have an oven.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:45 PM
Aoshi

hmm... they still should have a windtunnel effect with that air conditoner, it would cool it very nicely

hey keefe shouldnt you tell yoru customer this so that they wont be comming back and argueing with the place you work?
Old 04-24-2002, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Savage, Aoshi is right. first off, take the Ideal Gas Law formula (which I have handy from a friends notes...N=PV/RT). heat does not result from compression, lack of heat does. with the formula you can see at the same R, but increased P(pressure) and decreased V(volume) the temp will increase. then, with the reference to AC units, i live in AZ and help with a lot of work around the house so i gotta know bout this. unlike evaporative coolers, AC's are closed units and do not use outside air except to cool some parts, but...there are AC's that cool themselves and are not external at all, just like the case, and they are just not as efficient.

the reason air cooling and watercooling must be outside is because of the transfer of electron activityfrom very active electrons from the very hot surfaces to moving the air and the water molecules and then those substances transferring it to an outside substance which is almost always air. only thing i've seen.

dont argue with me cuz i am right.   <notice the period
Old 04-24-2002, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Where is the heat going to go then?  Heat has to transfer to something else, it cannot just go away.  Energy cannot be destroyed.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

it is what is called endothermic...

Main Entry: en·do·ther·mic
Pronunciation: "en-d&-'th&r-mik
Function: adjective
Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary
Date: 1884
1 : characterized by or formed with absorption of heat

http://www.m-w.com

heat is not energy...all heat is is electron activity and how fast they are moving around...taking melting points for example, it is just the point of activity where molecules can move past each other, and if there is too much pressure, there is not enough room for molecules to move, it freezes, and there is nothing getting warmer. that is the basis for the AC. removing containable space so the stuff cant move as much and [glow=red,2,300]BAM[/glow] you got coldness, and a lot more than the heat produced by other parts.