Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > General Board

Old 06-04-2002, 10:34 AM
Grinnin Reaper

Default first known polymorphic metamorphic virus for win

And this one is legit   http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ux.simile.html  scary ain't it.  Just glad this variant isn't destructive.  

Subject line should include "and Linux"  to many characheters not even space.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: first known polymorphic metamorphic virus for

I am pretty sure that a linux machine cannot be infected with a virus...  Anyone else have any comments on that?
Old 06-04-2002, 11:45 AM
Grinnin Reaper

According to Symantec it can.  Any computer can be infected with some kind of virus or another I believe.  Linux just hasn't been hit because a linux virus will infect about 3% as many people or less as a standard Windows virus.  People writing viruses want a large impact so normally they'll go for the larger user base (windows).  When Linux is more popular you'll see more viruses for it.  
Old 06-04-2002, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Yeah, however, there is no way that linux can be infected with a virus unless you intentionaly install it as root.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:14 PM
Grinnin Reaper

I see what you're saying and that's true for the most part.  But what if it exploits buffer overflows and the like to escalate it's privlege's.  I think with the right (or wrong depending on your mindset).  I believe at any level they could be dangerous.  It's just going to take a lot more effort to do and no little "script kiddie" will be able to download virus toolkits and make a new one.  They'll need to be built from scratch by knowledgeable people.  Just MHO.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:43 PM
rivergod

Polymorphic, Metamorphic, You are Polysyllabic Geeks!  All you need to do is throw in the occassional Phase Inverter, or Plasma flow conduit and this conversation could be on Star Trek!  LOL ;D  I Love It!  (Oh No!  I just realized I understood most of it too,  I'm becoming one too, AArrgghhh......) ;D
Old 06-05-2002, 12:32 AM

sorry about my ignorance, but what are Polysyllabic Geeks?  if i were informed on them i would know what this thread is about, and that is why im askin... :
Old 06-05-2002, 05:51 AM
rivergod

Polysyllabic=multiple syllables in words used, and it might help to follow the topic.....
Old 06-05-2002, 06:55 AM
Grinnin Reaper

Yhea rivergod it's infective, isn't it.  Just remember to invert the dilithum crystals and never cross the beams or your blow the flux capacitor.  ??? Oh well that's as much sense as I can make without my Mt. Dew in the morning.