Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-05-2002, 01:21 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Guess what?

A new vulnerability for IE.  http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25590.html
Old 06-05-2002, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: Guess what?

Wow, imagine that.  Ie is like swiss cheese.  Microsoft should just fix their damn crap!
Old 06-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Grinnin Reaper

They should just build it right the first time.  If they actually built something from scratch instead of adding on it would be diffrent.  If you live in a mobile home and add a room,  then add another, and keep going you have a castle that has a cheap ass aluminum door with a broken handle on the back.  WTF??  Sometimes you just gotta scrap it and start from scratch.  Don't bring over anything but experience.  
Old 06-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

Amen
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 06-06-2002, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Exactly. You need a good foundation for anything and everything. Microsoft either doesn't realize that or just uses it as a way to make you upgrade. I, personally, am not sure which.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

If Microsoft started something from scratch, that'd be significantly worse than their software's current state. They've been working on perfecting Windows for about 10 years now, and Internet Explorer for slightly less. If they've been spending that much time improving something, think of how bad their brand new one would be.

Also, terribly huge risks are involved when a company totally discontinues a product, and moves in another direction. Although security holes do exist, and will continue to be found, this inevasible occurrence still leaves Microsoft's software ranking #1 in numerous fields. Additionally, you're not obligated to use Internet Explorer, or Windows at all.

Microsoft does "fix their damn crap," but it's a continuing process. They do what they can to fix problems, as well as improve performance, usability, functionality, and as many other aspects as they have determined will boost sales. If indeed their product was significantly inferior to a margin where it held any true impact on the end-user, simply stated, it wouldn't be used any more.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Grinnin Reaper

No other industry I know allows this type of crap.  The car industry continues to ditch old styles and update (not every year but on somewhat of a schedule for some companies).  You don't continue to remodel a home for years, eventually you level and start over.  If you have a good product you can only modify it so long till you make it a bad product.  If you start with crap it just goes downhill faster. Design teams leave and the new ones don't always have a full understanding of the prior teams works.  It happens everywhere I've seen.  You can't just keep adding on without some major reworking and usually a redesign to incorparate the new features and functionality.  
Quote:
If Microsoft started something from scratch, that'd be significantly worse than their software's current state
 That doesn't make it allright to release a new version every year, call it new and improved, and charge twice as much.  Take the time to develope one good product and release it when it's ready.  
Quote:
Additionally, you're not obligated to use Internet Explorer, or Windows at all.
 No but by shear number of users they have the largest installed base and almost all applications are detailed to their software.  Linux is getting better but it's still not a true competitor no matter how much we want it to be.  They have almost made themselves the industry standard and I think it needs to be set higher.  In the day's of Dos when software went to market it had to work right.  If it didn't the product failed and could take the whole company out with it.  Now after microsoft decided to make patching software part of life everyone does it.  Some games are nearly non-functional at realease and that in not acceptable.  Ask anyone how win2k runs without sp1,  ask anyone running me at all.  Software manufactures didn't have as many variables in the day.  You had only so much hardware and you made it run in dos.  Life was good.  But everyone believes that hot-fixes and patchs are the answer.  NO  the answer is don't rush testing.  Screw the release date.  Just make it work right when I get it.  Then I'll be a happy customer and come back for more on my own.