Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-04-2002, 06:52 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Default Hacking the X-box

I Love this kinda stuff http://web.mit.edu/bunnie/www/proj/anatak/xboxmod.html
Old 06-04-2002, 08:38 PM
rivergod

Default Re: Hacking the X-box

SSHHHHWWOOOOMMMmmmmmm..........
Thats the sound of that article going right over my head.......
I hope I never find out what an Aerogel Capacitor is for or never ever mess with a JTAG pin.  lol ;D
Old 06-04-2002, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

Savage do you ever go by the name Skeletor666? Just must be a coincidence that i've been linked here twice today
Old 06-05-2002, 06:58 AM
Grinnin Reaper

Nope sorry.   Just coincedence.  
Old 06-07-2002, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Quote:
Did anyone else notice the aerogel capacitor on the Xbox?
Why yes, of course I did. I thought that was the first thing everyone noticed.

Quote:
How is this significant?
This opportunity has allowed geeks with entirely too much time on their hands devote countless hours to very carefully breaking a very expensive children's toy.

I don't get why anyone would buy an X-box, and then have some major desire to break it open and modify it. They built it specifically to be able to support a specific range of games, and the software coders write their games specifically to interact with that hardware configuration. If the game writers wrote software requiring people to mod their EEPROM, it's at least good to know that this guy over at MIT would be in the running to buy it.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:49 AM
Grinnin Reaper

Isn't half of what we do here trying to improve on what we get.  Beit a PS2, a printer, a compter, or a x-box.  The first thing that comes to mind is a mod-chip capable x-box thanks to some of what this guy found.  And what if microsoft comes out with a hardware revision and only the new hardware can run some of the new games.  You can't possible think that microsoft is above that.  Maybe with stuff like this people with the older gear won't be left behind.  
Quote:
This opportunity has allowed geeks with entirely too much time on their hands devote countless hours to very carefully breaking a very expensive children's toy.

I don't get why anyone would buy an X-box, and then have some major desire to break it open and modify it.
If people had that additude to computers 5 years ago we could all be setting in front of I-macs and store bought IBM- clones.  Half the fun of getting new things is seeing how they work.
Old 06-08-2002, 08:07 AM
rivergod

[quote author=Savage link=board=general&num=1023234760&start=0#5 date=06/07/02 at 00:49:56]
 If people had that additude to computers 5 years ago we could all be setting in front of I-macs and store bought IBM- clones.  Half the fun of getting new things is seeing how they work.
[/quote]
I feel Savage is right-on here.  If he has the guts to rip open his X-box and the intelligence to mod it, I'd like to know what happens.  Could it wind up busting it?  Sure, thats why it takes guts.  Did Tom Edison stop his mods when his 100th filiment burned out?  No, he knew there were 100 less things to test till he found the one that would work.  If it plugs in, you can mod it.  If it takes batteries, you can mod it.  All it takes is imagination and being willing to take the chance.