Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > General Board

Old 06-08-2002, 11:47 AM
jinx

Default Been hanging around warez again ?

Well, if you downloaded and installed a pirated copy of Photoshop 6 or 7, get ready for a visit from the FBI. This article is self explanatory.
-------
Homing Device Found In Photoshop 6 and 7
It was announced today by Adobe, Inc. that the upgrade to Photoshop 6.1 and Photoshop 7 added a special devices that 'phones home' the registration number and collected computer data to create a unique # (similar to what is found in Windows XP).

Obviously, this was a move to collect a list of its pirated software. Adobe has been compiling the list since the release of their free 6.1 upgrade last July. CNN reports that the list has been sent to the FBI, more here:

Adobe Systems, Inc, makers of the popular computer graphics program Photoshop, announced on Friday that they have compiled and submitted a list of more than 25,000 Internet Protocol (IP) addresses with duplicate serial numbers for versions six and seven of their product. A spokesman from Adobe says "We installed what is called a 'callback' on Photoshop to try and curb piracy. It essentially sends installation information to our servers upon first use." The FBI plans to work with national and local Internet Service Providers (ISP) to find and convict those responsible.
-----------------------------------------------------

I know Flash MX and others are rumored to have these devices too. Pirates beware, it looks like the companies are coming after you.
Although it doesn't state it above, the adobe device only calls in once, during an idle period.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default Re: Been hanging around warez again ?

Hrm, good thing I uninstalled Photoshop 7 after it would not stop locking up.  I was able to open it up a few times so it probally "phoned home."  I guess I will have to setup a firewall to block that data next time it install it.  Does anyone know of a fix for this?
Old 06-08-2002, 02:34 PM
bilo86

That scares me  :-[
Old 06-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

That is why you get Zone Alarm - the software (Photoshop, in this case) can't access the internet or provide information without your permission. See, we hackers got tools, too.  ;D

Plus, I am sure this could easily just be a scare tactic.
Old 06-08-2002, 05:27 PM

hey jinx, could you post then hyperlink for that site, i wanna see what the site really consist of and see if it is a hoax or the real thing. Although i dont really have anything to worry about cuz i only gotz Photoshop 5, oh well...
Old 06-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235

hehe, eventually zone alarm will start using the same system to prevent pirating of thier software.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:39 PM
jinx

soccer and others,
Although I always try to post a link to a source, directly, this is a link that should be reputable. Scroll down close to the bottom.
------
PNuts Thoughts
-------
Old 06-08-2002, 06:40 PM

wouldnt that be a bad thing though, cuz wouldnt people want free copies of software that would protect there comp from hackers and other things...
Old 06-08-2002, 06:47 PM
jinx

Also here is a direct link to 'razorart', the link quoted above.
--------
razorart
-----------
Old 06-08-2002, 06:54 PM

oh now i get ya jinx, yeah this sure doesnt sound good at all if the FBI is into it, none the less! Im sure that they will trace evidence leading to the conviction of the dudes anyway...