Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > General Board

Old 06-22-2002, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default Blocking Ads on Free Sites

We all use ad-supported sites, do we have a "duty" to support ads? Most of the sites we visit are free to use because of ads; it is undisputable that the web would be completely different if we had to pay for each site that we used.

But the question is, with popups and mousetrapping getting more intrusive daily, is it right to use ad-blocking software?[poll]
[opt] Yes [/opt]
[opt] No [/opt]
[opt] Depends on the situation [/opt]
[/poll]
[GUEST]
Old 06-22-2002, 06:27 AM
jinx

Default Re: Blocking Ads on Free Sites

Well, there is another catagory that helps make lots of programs free and that is 'adware' which you did not address. Morpheus and like programs give you free advertising in the windows while you are using their programs, so does your browsers, yahoo and such.

But when pop-ups and pop-unders totally block the site/page I am trying to visit, then I have no problems what-so-ever in blocking them totally- enter crazybrowser to do it for me.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:57 AM
aoC_PRoZaK

i personally think this is a protection not only against nasty kill one open 20 popups, but also against unwanted advertisements. i mean, when we browse a hardware site, we see lotsa banner stuff from sponsers (me doesn't see ;D). but wouldn't it be enuff to see it on the end uv reviews? this is not my decision so why would i HAVE to see them? do the sites get their domains paid by peeps WHO DONT KLICK on the banner, but just watch it? i don'T know anybody who pais sites for users just having downloaded the files. most of them pay for clicks. if i want to click or not, i decide not after the look of the banner. and btw, my download volumina is limited. if i load more then i may, i gotta pay. shall i pay several bucks for downloading of banners?
see, i like virtual-hideout(for example) very much. i  refresh the site bout 10 to 20 times a day, and i know that the guys got a shitload uv banners. i don't get why i should pay MY ISP for THEIR banners, that don'T earn them anything if I don't klick? (see, if ya frequently visit a page with banners and ya don't keep ya temp internet files longer than one week, ya get a big amount of senseless data transfer.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

It is a fact that sites cannot survive without any income.  The most popular way to raise some income on a site is from ads, and unfortunetly the latest craze is pop-ups.  I agree with most advertising, some of the most useful sites on the net would not be around if they were not making money from ads.  I do, however, believe that pop-ups are a big pain in my rear-end.  Some are small and quiet, while others are huge and intrusive.  I say, if you can block em--Go ahead, its your right.  Just like its your right to change the channel when a commerical comes on.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:05 PM
aoC_PRoZaK

ya, what i say, nobody can force us to watch them, but without any good reason we sometimes do
Old 06-22-2002, 01:30 PM
TheRogue

where did you get the adblocking bit from?... i have firewall and antivirus on my mobo CD... but no ad blocking
Old 06-22-2002, 02:18 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones

There's all sorts of ad-blocking software out there. The one shown above is a part of Nortons Internet Security. There's also the crazybroswer and many others.

I hate pop-ups but am guilty of using one or two in the past. Like others above have said, without clicks there's little revenue from a site.

I personally don't mind small single pop-ups, but I definately cannot stand the four, ten, 50 pop-ups that spawn other pop ups until you want to run out and hurt somebody  

Ok enough about pop-ups, my blood pressure is popping up.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 06-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Here are links to Download.com's Online privacy tools and the same ones except excluding trial ones.

One that I know is pretty good, and very customizable, is AnalogX Pow 1.57

-=aoC|PRoZaK=- brought up a very good point; these ads absorb our bandwidth. According to PCWorld, removing popups and ads can boost your speed from about 1.3 to 2 times original speeds. Check out PCWorld's pop-up stoppers
Old 06-22-2002, 04:13 PM
TheRogue

i was just interested in the norton one as i already have the other 2 utils

the best way to get rid of popups is run your own DNS and blockout the usual suspects
Old 06-22-2002, 06:19 PM

yeah i just went to download.com as well about 5 months ago and downloaded a ad stopper that had the best reviews and sounded overal good to me! And i found the Panicware Pop-Up Stopper...virtually blocks every pop-up i come across and tells me when it blocks...all i have to do is click the icon to let the popups come in and loading time is very quick as well!