Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 07-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Uranium-235 Send a message via AIM to Uranium-235
Default Re: What is the computer!

the i960 is a RISC processor. Ummm Is this card like in the middle that goes up all the way? Maybe it's a riser of some kind. Show us the pictures plz
Old 07-14-2002, 06:28 PM
The_Other_One

Alright, I work on this computer every once in a while, just trying to figure it out!  I've had it for over a year now, and I still don't understand it...

On the front, it says Distibuted Sniffer System Server.  Its powered by an AT MB, with a Pentium 166.  It has 8M of ram(and there is some more ram on a card I'll get to later...) an 1.2G HD.  No CD ROM...  There is also an old 10/100(manual switching I guess, because my hub only showed it as 10...)  There is also this full legnth card with an Intel i960 chip on it, what looks like some ram, and 6 lights.  As it boots, the lights begin to flash.  There is also a program for that card, and different lights will come on of off, blink, etc...

ANY idea what this thing is.  I'll give as much information as needed/as I can find.  I'll get pictures, screenshots if needed, whatever, I'd just like to know what I have

BTW...it dose NOT run windows.  It has DR DOS 5.0 on it...

(sorry, I saw a mistake in the Subject, and I tried to remove the whole messager...didn't work...)
Old 07-14-2002, 06:35 PM
The_Other_One

OK...here are some pictures of the i960 and the card it's on.  I got the thing running again, but it's only at 10 and not 100 like my other computers...  I DID however, find out it's running TCP/IP, so it seems it I can get my computers to 10, or this computer to 100, it shouldn't be much of a problem to access it...

http://64.53.95.207:30/dsss1.jpg
Old 07-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Administrator

why the hell is my post on top???

oh well. it *looks* the board holding the 960 is a board on the riser board.

I doubt you could load window on that sucker. Perhaps dos, or unix because of the RISC Processor.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:53 PM
The_Other_One

hehe...dind't you read my post again.  I screwed up the subject, and I tried to delete the message, but you'd already posted, so the message just stayed there...  I just decided to repost the origanal message...

I also think you missed, it also has a p166 in it...

However, I do not want windows on it, I want it to run with the origanal software thats on it(I just have no idea how to use it...)
Old 07-14-2002, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Learn DOS!
Old 07-14-2002, 08:07 PM
The_Other_One

HEY now!  I know dos!  >  I just don't know the all these stupid programs that run the server!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:28 PM
The_Other_One

Alright...don't worry about it...  After searching ebay, I found a computer, much like mine, just older.  Apparently, the transport card controls a WAN box, so it's basically usless...

I've already made a neat little 98 box, and I'm saving the card for later use(if I ever find the nessasary hardware...)