Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-26-2001, 03:55 PM
geekgirl

Default Home Lan troubles

Can anyone help me?
I have two pcs networked via cat 5 10/100 ethernet.  The two computers can ping each other...but they cannot view each other in Network Neighborhood.

Anyone got any suggestions..
Old 05-27-2001, 01:09 AM
Hulaboy

Default Re: Home Lan troubles

Could you give more info as to how they are connected? Are they connected through router, switch, gateway server, etc? What about any security software you may have installed on them? Also, what operating systems are you running on each computer? I had a similar problem like that and it turned out I forgot to disable Norton Internet Security on one of them.  ;D
Old 05-28-2001, 07:43 PM
geekgirl

Well, they are connected through a 4 port Netgear hub.  Neither of the computers have any security software installed.  Both computers are running Windows 98 SE...and no norton  
Old 05-28-2001, 10:09 PM
Hulaboy

Hhmm...okay, I think I get a general picture of your setup. Since you can ping each other, that means that at least TCP/IP is working. There are a couple of things that you may want to check on:

1)  Make sure that both PCs are in the same workgroup.
2)  Make sure that the designated drives/folders have the necessary shared settings.
3)  If TCP/IP still doesn't work for you then you might want to try another type of protocol (i.e. NetBEUI).

Bear in mind that if you're trying to share one IP address among the two computers and you have nothing serving as a proxy server or DHCP server, both computers will not be able to access the internet at the same time. You can probably use something like Win 98SE's Internet Connection Sharing capability for that.

If you are just trying to network both computers through the hub and there is no proxy/DHCP server connected to the hub, you will have to assign both computers an IP address.  Well, I hope this helps somewhat. If you need more help, just post again.
Old 06-09-2001, 06:34 PM
DaemonX

hello girl,

i would like to complete the last asnwer for hulaboy saying that i would try to probe put in tcp/ip settings the ip or the router (i  believe you say router) as default getaway for both, even although are in the same network and are both connected.

tnx
bye
Old 06-18-2001, 01:56 PM
Neohuntr

from what you were saying, it appears

if you're computers can ping each other on your home network and get a reply:
go to Start Menu > Run..
type in
\\itscomputername\
in the dialog box

occasionally that will work and it should pop up