Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-26-2002, 03:15 PM
The_Other_One

Default Making a server...best software?

I have an interent server, but I'm planning on making it into a file server, FTP and HTML server.  I'm just wondering what the best software is to do this?  I've got apache for windows running now, and that should work for HTML, but what can I use for FTP?  As for a file server, what all does Windows 2000 prof. come with?  Will I need 2000 server.

Here are the specs on the computer...
Intel Pentium 200MHz w/ MMX
64M RAM(EDO, but also has some SD RAM slots)
1.8G and 3.2G HDs
CD ROM
Decent video card(got many more if I need to upgrade)

(There is also a problem with the processor...it only runs at 166MHz.  I tried every combination possible, but I could only get it to 166...  I have another processor that runs at 200MHz for sure, but I can't remember if it has MMX.  So I'll try it soon enough, and just put the fastest one with MMX in it...)
Old 05-26-2002, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default Re: Making a server...best software?

okay, your server isn't that great for a win2k sys, so puttin win2k server is not a good idea...put linux. i got it from a friend who has broadband, and it is easy to learn, and as powerful as win2k on fast systems, but way more powerful on slower systems. you can run a mail server using linux on a 4mhz, so 166mhz should be plenty. if you want e-commerce and security stuff, get Caldera (you play pacman while it installs!!!), but i use Redhat and it seems fine. plus it is free and comes with apache.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:45 PM
Chef

Quote:
your server isn't that great for a win2k sys, so puttin win2k server is not a good idea...put linux
 ;D

I is not that it's not a good idea, W2K simply wouldn't work on anything lower then Celeron.
Minimum requirements for W2K srv by /\/\icroS are -> 133/32/1.2, it means you can install software but wouldn't be able to use it.
I've installed W2K pro on PP200/32/1.7 and it worked totally slow.
The rule of thumb sez double anything /\/\icroS claims for minimum reqs, but in the case of W2K srv you'll need at least:
P2 300+/128/2Gb/any VGA
And if you want to make this machine working Web server this may be enought for testing but obviously not for actual FTP/WWW (HTML ?) server.

Quote:
As for a file server, what all does Windows 2000 prof. come with?  Will I need 2000 server.
If you stick to micros, then W2K srv required for Web services. Consider freebsd, as it's the most popular, ergo the best OS for internet services.

Good luck NES_Master
Old 05-27-2002, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

vee_ess: All flavors of linux are free!  They have to be under that general public open source lisence thing.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:12 AM
The_Other_One

Not enough for an internet server huh?  Then what has it been doing for the past year?  Check it out www.Homission.com

I may stick to 98 because it runs so well now, but I'm still in need of a decent FTP server program...
Old 05-28-2002, 04:12 PM
Chef

Try this one -> http://www.argosoft.com/applications/ftpserver/

now, I don't know about ftp, but mailserver works great, so you may want to check that ftp server

Cheers

p.s homission.com is down !

Old 05-29-2002, 11:09 AM
The_Other_One

I tried it...it looks nice...but it's not free... See, if I was going to spend money one it, I'd upgrade it...

And you caught me at a bad time.  I was checking out that processor to see if it was MMX.  Turns out it's NOT, and it wont run at 200MHz(it will, but it wont boot...)

There should be a server info page at http://64.53.95.207/server.htm

Or if you want to see all my computers, I made a very quick txt list of my computers at http://64.53.95.207/comps.txt
Old 05-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Chef

that's a great 486 stuff !
you can install NT on MMX machine, reqs are just fine for that
I also have couple 486/66's with NT installed for testing purposes

Cheers
Chef

p.s. about ftp server, just took a quick look at download.com (not that I go there usually & found ~50 freeware apps
Old 05-30-2002, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

yeah you are right, Keefe, about the GPL which says you cant charge unless otherwise stated, but none of the vendors of linux dont go by it. i just said it wrong. i know what i am thinkin but ard time sayin.

i still say you should go with linux, cuz NES_Master, your sys is good enough for a server for what is needed now, but for what you want to make it, you need a very resourceful OS to make use of your components, and therefore linux is what you need. that is why it is one over 80% of servers.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:19 PM
_Ant_Man_

i would say linux

i am just a Cisco Guy